How do you drink in the sun?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

gwaugh

Reaction score
I've only been into craft beer for two or three years now and home brewing for a year and a half so most of my drinking life my light american lager drinking was in cans or bottles.
My question is how does everyone drink their homebrew outside? It's finally warm here in Ohio and I would like to know how everyone avoids drawing off a pint and having their beer get that light-struck skunky flavor? Do I just have to always drink in the shade? I've found it can happen to a beer in a glass really fast.

Hello

Reaction score
It's not going to skunk right away. You know that, right?
Drink away. Drink 100 in the sun. Unless you spend days drinking just one single beer, but then you have issues beyond skunked beer.

danath34

Reaction score
I've never had a beer get skunked in the amount of time it was in my glass. I just pour it, go outside, drink it, enjoy, and don't worry about it. in my experience, if you're drinking it immediately, it'll be fine.

I would never, however, take the case/sixer outside with me. anything I'm not drinking immediately stays inside.

Johnnyhitch1

Reaction score

Lol but really, youve had a beer "skunk" before your eyes?

What danath said also, drink a bottle and leave the rest in the fridge
Also when im drinking in the sun, my glass stays in the shade for temp reasons though.

CadillacAndy

Reaction score
I have noticed that beers taste and smell lightstuck/skunky for me in a matter of just a few minutes if they sit in direct sunlight. It's not unbearable but I can most definitely taste the difference. Make fun of all you want.

ryno1981

Reaction score
When I'm outside drinking I prefer Dales Pale Ale right out of the can. I don't like taking my glassware out of the house much any way.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

OP
gwaugh

gwaugh

Reaction score
I have noticed that beers taste and smell lightstuck/skunky for me in a matter of just a few minutes if they sit in direct sunlight. It's not unbearable but I can most definitely taste the difference. Make fun of all you want.
I agree, I can detect the same within minutes. Normally I'd in outside in within in the yard but I also like to pour a pint and sit in the Adirondack chair but within minutes I pick up the smell and a slight taste.

Cathedral

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Normally, when I'm out in the sun chillin' out, maxin' relaxin, all cool, I prefer lighter things like Coors Light or vodka mixed with something. The girlfriend and I make a killer drink using Absolut Wild Tea, tonic water, and slices of watermelon. It was the best drink to be had last year when it was 110 on the 4th of July.

I'm not ashamed of saying I drink Coors Light when it's hot out. I save the good beers for when the sun goes down and the energy picks up.

rodwha

Reaction score
I can't say I've noticed it while BBQing, but I'm typically hiding in the shade when it's hot.

BadBeagleBrew

Reaction score
I second the stainless steel idea, not the same as glass but if you're sensitive to instasunskunked beers that would prob be your best bet. Could find a semi insulated stainless steel mug/cup to keep your lighter summer beers cold.

Calypso

Reaction score
I conducted an experiment for my beer club recently. I bought a six pack of Molson Golden (green bottles), kept them clear of the light, and then took three and left them in direct sunlight for 5, 15, and 30 minutes. Every one of them had noticeable skunky character. (And before you mad wags chime in, the ones that weren't left out in the sun weren't skunked, no. :p )

So in answer to the OP's question (how do I drink home/craft brew in the sun)? Quickly. :mug:

beersk

Reaction score
I've only been into craft beer for two or three years now and home brewing for a year and a half so most of my drinking life my light american lager drinking was in cans or bottles.
My question is how does everyone drink their homebrew outside? It's finally warm here in Ohio and I would like to know how everyone avoids drawing off a pint and having their beer get that light-struck skunky flavor? Do I just have to always drink in the shade? I've found it can happen to a beer in a glass really fast.
I agree. I must be sensitive to it because I notice skunking within minutes when I'm sitting outside. Sometimes I don't even have to be in direct sunlight. I've taken to drinking out of opaque mugs. I have a really cool Belgian mug with a flip top lid. My mom brought it back from a trip a few years ago.
I don't much like sitting in beer gardens as much anymore because of the skunking issue. I just don't enjoy skunky beer.

ktblunden

Reaction score
If I know I'll be in a situation where I'll be drinking beer in direct sunlight for an extended period of time I'll pick up some canned craft beer. There are a ton of excellent options these days.

Jupapabear

Reaction score
I drink Corona when it's hot out. It comes preskunked so I don't have to worry about avoiding it.

But when I drink from the kegerator, I use small drink glasses. They usually doesn't last as long, which means it stays cold and doesn't skunk much. I have koozies for my pint glasses, and my drink glasses fit perfectly in normal koozies. Works for me.

I still prefer pounding back some coronas though. Anyone have a good recipe to link to so I can just make my own by chance? haha

orangehero

Reaction score
I've noticed some beers to skunk in minutes. I'd like to try one of those double wall stainless pint cups.

TexasSpartan

Reaction score
I drink out of a can or just drink fast enough that it gets skunked. Problem solved.

hogwash

Reaction score
Klean Kanteen makes the insulated stainless pint cup. I think you can get a lid for them too. I have one, sans lid, and it keeps a beer pretty cold for awhile. Haven't used it in direct sunlight so I can't report on skunk factor. Seems like it would do a pretty good job of protecting it though.

snowtires

Reaction score
I drink Corona when it's hot out. It comes preskunked so I don't have to worry about avoiding it.

But when I drink from the kegerator, I use small drink glasses. They usually doesn't last as long, which means it stays cold and doesn't skunk much. I have koozies for my pint glasses, and my drink glasses fit perfectly in normal koozies. Works for me.

I still prefer pounding back some coronas though. Anyone have a good recipe to link to so I can just make my own by chance? haha
I just tried a hydro sample of a beer I made to emulate Budweiser but right now it tastes and looks very close to corona. I'll let you know after it's lagered. I made it for an outdoor summer wedding

1401155441225.jpg

rodwha

Reaction score
I'm curious how it turns out and what you did to emulate it.

cvalentino3

Reaction score
I notice this as well, it is not just you as many seem to feel the same way. I was on the beach this weekend and noticed it a number of times. The only thing that I found cut back on the aroma was keeping the beer in the shade and in a koozie

snowtires

Reaction score
I'm curious how it turns out and what you did to emulate it.

Lager of two crops

5.5 gallons in fermenter.

10lb 2 row
700g box of minute rice
.60 oz Amarillo # 60
Mash at 148-150f

Wyeast 2007 lager

Cyclman

I Sell Koalas
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I really want a set of stainless steel double walled pint glasses. 4 for $50 on Amazon. I love bling!

Until then, I leave my beer in the shade.

Calichusetts

Reaction score
I only drink beer curled up in the corner of my basement in complete darkness. Problem solved! I'd say I was lonely but I'm in the company of great beer. Sometimes my friends come over. We only have one rule...you are not allowed to talk, crying is allowed though

LakeErieMonster

Reaction score
I use a 5 oz tasting glass to avoid the skunkiness. It seems to work all right for me.

I definitely enjoy the beer more after I have to walk all the way to the garage for it.

Euphist

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
In addition to the skunking problem, I have also discovered that flies like my beer as much as I do. What I really want is a double-walled, stainless steel beer stein.

Somebody PLEASE steal this idea! (just give me the first one :) )

Grossy

Reaction score
I dont know.

This time of year in Arizona, if you walk outside the first thing that will happen is your beer will immediatly evaporate in a puff of steam, the next thing that happens is immediate death.