How do you cool your wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402229651.289532.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I no-chill - straight into a cube.

Saves time on brew day and let's me stock pile cubes, so I brew whenever I have the chance (not as often as I'd like) and just pitch yeast/ferment whenever suits my pipeline.

I no-chill - straight into a cube.

Saves time on brew day and let's me stock pile cubes, so I brew whenever I have the chance (not as often as I'd like) and just pitch yeast/ferment whenever suits my pipeline.

http://beerandwinejournal.com/botulism/
I'd seriously consider not storing cubes, at least in room temperature, for more than thr time it takes to cool to pitching temp. Botulism may be low risk, but may have fatal consequenses.

I don't know. I might be possible that the wort for the kits is pressure cooked before sale, to kill off spores, or that the kits are refrigerated and sold really 'fresh', or that pH is adjusted down to safe levels or that in fact fresh wort kits are not 100% safe.
I'd ask the manufacturer/retailer before buying one...

I don't know. I might be possible that the wort for the kits is pressure cooked before sale, to kill off spores, or that the kits are refrigerated and sold really 'fresh', or that pH is adjusted down to safe levels or that in fact fresh wort kits are not 100% safe.
I'd ask the manufacturer/retailer before buying one...

It isn't pressure cooked. It's exactly the same. It's also stored on the shop floor. pH is exactly as it would be otherwise. And at least two providers in Australia have food safe certification for them.

The no-chill botulism thing has been done to death so I don't propose to go over it here, save to say that I understand your concern but I don't share it, nor do many hundreds of others who brew at home and cube or produce fresh wort kits commercially.

Cheers!

It isn't pressure cooked. It's exactly the same. It's also stored on the shop floor. pH is exactly as it would be otherwise. And at least two providers in Australia have food safe certification for them.

The no-chill botulism thing has been done to death so I don't propose to go over it here, save to say that I understand your concern but I don't share it, nor do many hundreds of others who brew at home and cube or produce fresh wort kits commercially.

Cheers!

I don't want to start a debate either, especially one that already has 'been done to death' :)
I will say this though, I really like the no-chill concept, and even if I haven't dipped my feet in it yet, I will absolutely give it a try as soon as I can find a suitable cube here. And when I do, I'll make sure to pitch within 24 hours or so.
Even if the risk is astronomically small, pitching sooner rather than later is just such an easy 'solution' to me, that I see no reason not to.

That's completely legitimate and if it works for you then great.

We all have different risk tolerances and different compromises we're prepared to make.

Cheers!

Back