How do you clean your plastic primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnj

Reaction score
I've never had an issue with my buckets being real dirty. I just rinse and scrub w/ my bare hands and it's good.

But my second batch of Haus Ale left some gunky, dried goo on the lid and top part of the bucket. I soaked it in hot water but there is still some stuck on there. I don't want to scrub it w/ a scrubbie because that would scratch the plastic.

Also, when I secondaried today, the yeast in my primary was ontop of the hop bags and was DRY. crazy. But my reading was 1.01 so it clearly did it's job.:mug:

Oxyclean. Fill the bucket most of the way up with hot water, add a scoop of oxyclean and then fill it to the top. Leave it for a few hours and rinse well. It'll be squeaky clean with no scrubbing at all.

No agitation ? I will be racking a creame ale from my BB primary ..

OK - 1 scoop of oxiclean per 6 gal fermenter ...will do that ... I was going to put in a washcloth, but inside isn't that bad, now that I look at it.

I use plain bleach for an over night soak and a nice rince with hot water does the trick for me. Ok if you clean any residue of bleach from the plastic.
Never had a problem and I've been doing it this way for the past 4 years.

No agitation ? I will be racking a creame ale from my BB primary ..

OK - 1 scoop of oxiclean per 6 gal fermenter ...will do that ... I was going to put in a washcloth, but inside isn't that bad, now that I look at it.

I'd STILL use that washcloth. Just to make sure you got that "ring" off around that tub!:rockin:

Hot water, liquid dish soap and a paper towel (nothing abrasive) and gently wash it away. I always sanitize all my equip after cleaning as well just as a precaution. For the lid, it goes in the dishwasher to get all the nooks and crannies. :mug:

Spray it, scrub it, then sanitize it before i use it.

I use the rough side of a kitchen sponge and a high pressure spray of hot water on those dried bits. I haven't encountered any issues with scratches, or at any visible scratches or bacteria being introduced that way. And as I'm sure everyone else does, I sanitize on brew day shortly before I put my wort in there.

I'd STILL use that washcloth. Just to make sure you got that "ring" off around that tub!:rockin:

No need. Trust me. I had a bucket that had the krausen ring on it after a 3 week primary. Then I forgot about it after racking the beer off. For over a week. It was dried right on. An afternoon soak with oxyclean and it rinsed clean like it was brand new.

Don't use a harsh scrubber on anything plastic. It leaves scratches that can harbor bacteria. If you're going to use anything, make it a soft cloth. I used a microfiber towel before I started using oxyclean. Now I just soak everything and it comes out spotless.

Just make sure you rinse it well. If you have very hard water, that can be a bit more difficult, but I don't have that problem.

I've had plenty of brews that Oxyclean wouldn't totally clean. For me it's fast and easy to just wipe it out with a sponge or soft cloth.

Mike

Ox(i/y)clean will definitely work if you give it time, use hot water, and maybe do it a couple of times depending upon how bad it's stuck on there. But it't totally unnecessary for cleaning a bucket fermenter. Just use a damn scrubby kitchen sponge and it will clean off, and trust me you won't have trouble with scratches unless you're using steel wool or something.

I rinse it out with tap water and gentle wipe loose any caked on krausen with a sponge. Once it's rinsed clean, I soak it in sanitizer for several hours and let it air dry.

If you get on it quick while everything is still damp a quarter scoop of OxyClean in 3-4 gallons ought to be plenty. Soft non scratching whatever, bare hands, sponge, terry cloth, it's all good.

I am down to using 1/8 of a scoop of OxyClean for a Corny keg, including all the little pieces. That stuff will go a long way, esp in hot water.

I soak my ported BetterBottle with one of the cheaper CIP type cleaners; take the racking adapter/valve off for a separate soaking; inspect closely for left over bits of crud; then re-assemble the whole thing a do a low concentration soak with PBW for at least 24 hours.

I'm a believer in using a cleaner that dissolves soils without having to scrub; even though scrubbing is okay for the stubborn stuff. There are always hiding places scrubbing doesn't reach.

I usually spray the ring with hot warm from the tap, then wipe with a sponge or cloth gently. Then fill bucket with hot Oxi and add some bottles that need the labels taken off and the gunk inside removed. Kills 2 birds with one Oxi soak.

+1 for oxiclean. I just let it soak overnight usually with the rest of my tubing and stuff like that. Seems to do the job very well... but it doesn't get rid of the beer smell. I think that just gets into the plastic after a few times.

It's also great for removing bottle labels.

Hot water, liquid dish soap and a paper towel (nothing abrasive) and gently wash it away. I always sanitize all my equip after cleaning as well just as a precaution. For the lid, it goes in the dishwasher to get all the nooks and crannies. :mug:

Careful with dish soap, you may think you get it all out but there is a good chance you didn't. This won't really impact the flavour of the beer, but it'll kill your head retention.

I usually spray the ring with hot warm from the tap, then wipe with a sponge or cloth gently. Then fill bucket with hot Oxi and add some bottles that need the labels taken off and the gunk inside removed. Kills 2 birds with one Oxi soak.

I'd be careful delabling/soaking bottles in a fermenter. It would be an easy way to scratch it.

Back