How do yeast labs separate trub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StMarcos

Reaction score
I know that some might be using molasses or other media that might not have much break/trub. Is this the case with WL/WY? If they are using malt-based media, do they settle/centrifuge the trub before 'decanting' and pitching yeast? I'm curious because every year or so I mash a sack of grain to 1.070 and freeze it in gallon and quart plastic containers. These are the right size for me to cut in half with RO and make 2L and 8L starters for my 16.5 gal batches. I don't boil the wort, just mix the runnings in my BK and then straight to the containers. I then defrost, dilute, and boil the wort when needed. Would it be recommended to boil this wort for a few minutes with whirlfloc, let settle, and then run off into the containers for freezing?

I am hoping to use yeast volume to get a better idea of cell count by eliminating trub as much as possible. Think this is a good idea? Might I want the trub for a healthier starter fermentation?

Cheers/etc.

I think they would centrifuge the wort to remove trub.

Your problem is that you don't boil the wort and remove the break before freezing. So yes I think if you boil it for 15 min you should and up with much less trub. In addition to decanting the clear wort off the trub you can also filter the trub. I do that with a large paper towel set in a large funnel with a screen.

Kai

Back