How do scores in a competition work? And more, of course.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chichum

Reaction score
This is a very beginner question but I'm a bit confused. I entered two beers into the Blue Ridge Brew Off and got my results back. My RIS got a score of 45 and made it to the BOS judging (yet still didn't place in my category despite having 4 points more than both 2nd and 3rd place). Also, I made a clone of Southern Tier Pumking and that scored a 24. The judges said it was low because I didn't put down what my base beer was. I put it was an Imperial Pumpkin Ale. Apparently that's not correct. Both judges said they would have scored it significantly higher had they known what the base style is. My questions:

1. Do points not matter when placing in a category? I always assumed the highest points awarded won.
2. What is the base style for that beer? How can I determine it?

Thanks for any info!

1. Points allow you to place within your category. Do you know how many beers were entered in stouts? It's possible there were multiple flights, which if that was the case your beer went to a mini bos where the judges deemed other beers were better.

2. Would need to see the recipe, but you generally need to state the base BJCP category. Something like brown ale brewed to imperial strength with pumpkin and pumpkin pie spicing

Oh okay. I get the mini-bos - I didn't realize it was per category. Last time I had that marked on my page I took 3rd overall BOS so I was a bit confused. There were 31 entries in the category.

As for the recipe, here it is (minus all the spices and whatnot):
Ingredients:
-------------
14.0 lbs 2-Row American Pale Malt
1.00 lb Victory
12.0 oz Crystal 80L
1.0lbs Rice Hulls
2.00 lbs pumpkin
3/4 lb Demerara Sugar
1/4 lb Light Brown Sugar

3/4 oz Magnum Hops
1/4 oz Sterling
Ringwood Yeast

Thanks!

1. Points allow you to place within your category. Do you know how many beers were entered in stouts? It's possible there were multiple flights, which if that was the case your beer went to a mini bos where the judges deemed other beers were better.

2. Would need to see the recipe, but you generally need to state the base BJCP category. Something like brown ale brewed to imperial strength with pumpkin and pumpkin pie spicing

Whenever something like that happens (a beer that scores very low but wins category, or scores very high but doesn't), I question the judges, not the beers. If yours beat the others by that high, I'm guessing that the judges who tasted yours initially overscored a little and the other two beers may have come from better judges in a different flight. That said, that's still a hell of an achievement and a beer to be proud of!

Back