How do I rewire my window ac unit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malnutriton

Reaction score
I got this Frigidaire 10,000 btu window ac unit off of CL for cheap and want to rewire it so that my Ranco controler does all of the work. I have seen many of the builds here and have gotten a good idea of how to make it work but still want to make sure that I am doing it correctly for what I want.

So I want to have the compressor kick on, along with the low speed fan, when the Ranco trips it. The issue I am concerned about and have not seen addressed here is the "overload protector". I want to make sure that this thing will run cold right when the Ranco kicks it on. I already have a small bank of computer fans to defrost the coils that are going to be run off of my lager chamber ranco so I'm not worried about freezing it up. Here is the wiring diagram from my unit. Any other people who have done this and might have a diagram of the way to wire this bad boy that would be very helpful.

Wiring_DIA.jpg

I'm curious why it has two different room temp sensors. The easiest way I know of is to trick the onboard controller into thinking the room is always warmer than its setpoint. This can be done by moving the temp sensor outside of your conditioned space to the back of the unit.

Then you should be able to just plug the thing into the ranco as if it were a fridge. However, this would only work if the unit doesn't default to a fan-off state when power is applied.

One sensor is for the room temp and the other is for the coils. Im under the impression that the one for the coils is to prevent icing of the coils. I have tried taking the temp sensors and putting them outside the walkin but the compressor will kick on and only get the cooler down to 40 and then kick off and blow the air around. Im really wanting to bypass the original controls completly.

I don't know for sure but I think you'd just have to jump AC-L to Comp and jump X109 to X111 on the controller. That should keep the temp display reading the actual temp but it can't shut the compressor or fan off.

Your best bet will probably be to break the line coming into the unit. Just make an extension cord end for the controller and plug the unit into it. Hopefully it holds its settings during power off cycles. If not, then you have more of a challenge.

Back