How do I reset a regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gudders

Reaction score
I have bought a new CO2 tank but dropped my regulator in the process of switching over. The outlet guage was bent and the gas man said I would just need to bent the casing back. I have done this.

I've now hooked it up to a 3 way splitter and the gas flows but the outlet guage doesn't doesnt show anything. If I turn the regulator up the needle jumps to full outlet.

How can I reset the regulator to read 0? I thought turn the gas off, and turn the regulator down, disconnect the gas out. Then, purge all the gas from the 3 kegs. Reconnect the regulator outlet pipe and slowly turn the regulator up.

Am I correct in thinking that the out-guage measures the pushing pressure of the gas, so if the keg pressure is currently higher than the reg setting the guage wont change untill its pressure is higher than the keg and its pushing air in.

Yes, if there is no "backflow preventer" (aka "check valve" - which is not the same thing as a "shut-off valve") at the regulator outlet the low pressure gauge will read the higher of the regulator setting or the down-stream pressure. If you've applied 20 psi to your connected kegs then turn down the regulator, the gauge will still read 20 psi until the system pressure is relieved.

There is no "reset" on a regulator. There's almost always some type of pressure relief, often with a manual function.
There is a good chance that gauge did not survive the crash. At the least you should determine if the needle is dragging.
Replacements are inexpensive, typically $10 or less...

Cheers!

Thanks Trippr,

I couldn't find information about a dragging needle, but after some messing about I think the low pressure gauage is kaput - purged keg and set fully opened the gas but the needle didn't even move this time.

After a chat with a local welding supply shop it seems my regulator has had the gauges welded or nutlocked in so I can't replace it.

I have looked at getting a new regulator with a smaller output 60psi instead of the 80psi so it's more accurate, as well as an isolater valve (which appears when I search check valve) to apply to my line. Are these the correct types? Unlike other isolator valves Ive seen they don't have the screwpin or handle to shut off like a 'water in' on the the house.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/jg-speed...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CLeMo83E4twCFTWI7QodBiwPzw

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/John-Gue...848640?hash=item2369bcfd40:g:btgAAOSw3ydVqMX2

Back