how do i know when the diacetyl rest is complete

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feelinhoppy

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at a lager(Czech pils). I'm not expecting to much from it but I raised the temp to 65 but now I have no idea how long to let it sit like that.

feelinhoppy, there is a test you can do to actually see if diacetyl will be a problem.
http://www.professorbeer.com/articles/diacetyl.html
Scroll down to the "For Brewers Only: The Diacetyl Test" section for a description.

I just started lagering my first lager but didn't do this, just took the easy route and did a 48 hour d-rest. Even if I don't get into some of the more detailed tasks in brewing I still like to understand or at least know what's out there. Enjoy :)

I just started my d rest today for a bohemian pils. I always let my lagers finish fermenting at the d rest temp, once it's started. Then I bring the temp down to lagering temp for a month or so.

I do 3 days to be safe but I don't think it's necessary. 48 hours is probably fine.

Back