How do I fix my over-carbonated beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkharris200634

Reaction score
This past Monday I kegged my second beer. I watched a video on YouTube about force carbonating and I did this with my first kegged beer and it turned out perfect. I'm not sure what I did wrong this time. First I cooked the beer to around 38F and turned it on its side. I set the psi at 30 and rolled it for 2 minutes. Did this and it's nothing but foam. Can it be fixed and how do I fix it if it can be fixed? Thanks guys!!

Is this the same keg as the first successful beer, or a different keg?

There is a small O-ring under the flange of the long dip tube that if missing or damaged will allow CO2 in the keg head space to be injected into the beer stream at the Out post, with the amount of foam varying between nuisance first-pours to foam literally spitting out of the faucet on every pour.

You might want to depressurize the keg, remove the Out post, remove the dip tube and check that O-ring closely...

Cheers!

It's the same keg. And I'll check that. But if that's not the problem, can I just turn the pressure off for a day or two? Will that help the carbonation go down?

Ok, if you didn't touch the post between the two batches, then that does point to over-carbed beer. Which is kinda amazing that it could happen with just 2 minutes of rolling around at 30 psi, but there you are.

Shut the gas off, latch the keg pressure relief valve open, and leave it for 24 hours. Then close the PRV, hook the gas up at 10 psi, and try a pour. If it's still foamy, repeat for another day. Eventually you'll tame the beast.

Or...you can put the beer disconnect on your gas line, latch the PRV open, plug the gas on the Out post, and bubble CO2 up through the beer column.

I've never done it (I'm a die-hard "set and forget" carber) but folks that have swear by it...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/overcarbed-keg-heres-instant-solution-127655/#post1427892

Cheers!

Ok I released to pressure from the keg last night after we talked and unhooked the gas line. I left it for 24 hrs and I just checked it at 10 psi. Still foamy as crap. Wait another 24 hrs I guess?

Latest posts

Back