How do Commercial Breweries Carbonate their bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael_Calgary

Reaction score
As the title suggests, I am wondering how the "big guys" force carbonate in bottles?
I've tried doing some google searches but all I get is assumptions or vague wording.

I do all grain and keg. I know how "I" carbonate. But this is a big volume (as compared to one bottle) of beer and it's carbonated all at the same time.

So do big breweries force carbonated then just fill the bottles with this force carbonated beer? and if so, how does it still have so much carbonation? I've filled a sanitized 2 liter bottle from my keg to bring to a friends house and it did not have as much carbonation as I would have if I pour directly to my glass.

Or do they use some other method to carbonate and bottle at the same time?

My specific reason for asking is that I have Dozens and Dozens of 500 ml brown PET beer bottles from my bottling days prior to kegging and it would be nice to have the ability to make a case or two with my beer WITHOUT doing the whole brew/prime/wait thing and also so that it can be drank right from the bottle. Think Camping etc...

Thx!

They do not carbonate in the bottles, they counter-pressure fill from bright tanks that are fully carbonated...

Cheers!

So what your saying is that they force the carbonated beer out of the tank with co2? basically the same way I filled up my two litre bottle? So then, is there a method or specific setup I can use so that when I fills bottles they don't have less carbonation then when I want to drink it later? I am thinking that my two litre had less co2 as it foamed up a bunch when I was filling it. I basically just kept going and let the foam pour out the top till it was almost full with liquid beer. then I capped it.

Thanks all. Seems like I can easily build a build a device to fill my bottles from my keg and I already have all the parts required laying around! So simple after reading how it works. It's so funny how a person can see something and think, "Well I could have thought of that!" But... you didn't. hahaha I'm not overly enthused about filling bottles again... but, I'd rather not take a Keg and a Co2 bottle camping!! Also, I'll be dammed if I am going to buy commercial beer just for camping. BLECK!!! :no:

Well ok... So my wife got me some mini kegs and a pro tap kit for a fathers day gift! https://cankeg.com/

She got me two 5L mini "Bubba" kegs and the Pro Tap kit. I guess I no longer need to fill bottles! Camping here I come!!!

I guess this means she really does love me! ;)

So here is the "Bubba" keg and tap that my wife bought me. Holds 5 Liters. It also came with a picnic tap connection so that I can put it in a cooler while camping to ease beer pouring!

Bubba.jpg

Last edited:
Back