How do brewers add fruit peel to Wert?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.N. Brewer

Reaction score
Howdy everyone, my question is how do home brewers add peel to their wert? An example would be how blue moon is brewed with orange peels. I’ve been working on a pale ale recipe for a little bit, I posted about it yesterday for hop feedback. I think it would be cool to brew a pale ale with ruby grape fruit peel. But I’m wondering how I would do it. Would I add it in with the specialty grains in the grain sac and seep? Please let me know your thoughts! Thanks

In a grain sac or just grate it very fine and toss it in? Did it have a good taste in the finished beer?

I just left the peels in big chunks and added them directly to the boil kettle. It was ok. In my opinion if you want grapefruit Cascade hops will give more flavor. The peels gave some bitterness and subtle flavor.

Thanks for your input Keith. I plan on using Amarillo hops and Cascade hops after some good suggestions I received yesterday. I will keep your experience in mind.

I use the zest of the fruit (orange, grapefruit, etc.) and make a “tea” by heating it to a boil in water and letting it steep until it is cool. Then I add it to the finished wort before kegging. There may be some trial and error. Add say a cup per 5 gal and taste.
I’ve found w/ red grapefruit that I use 2 cups per 6 gallons.

Oh wow that’s a great idea too. Thanks! I have a lot to think about now.

I just added juniper and lime zest to a NEIPA after fermentation was over, along with the dry hops. I did cover the zest and berries with vodka to sanitize first.

I just added juniper and lime zest to a NEIPA after fermentation was over, along with the dry hops. I did cover the zest and berries with vodka to sanitize first.

How did that end up turning out taste wise?

I regularly use a vodka tincture to get the subtle flavors into the beer. I basically make a lemon/orange/GF chello and add that to the keg.

Take a potato peeler to your citrus fruit and try to leave off as much pith as possible. Then I usually add to the last 10 min of boil. It’s much easier than using a grater.

I regularly use a vodka tincture to get the subtle flavors into the beer. I basically make a lemon/orange/GF chello and add that to the keg.

So you add it straight to the keg rather than letting it boil? What is the benefit of that? Does it provide a fresher flavor than boiling?

Take a potato peeler to your citrus fruit and try to leave off as much pith as possible. Then I usually add to the last 10 min of boil. It’s much easier than using a grater.

That’s a really great idea I appreciate that. I didn’t even consider the pith effecting the flavor compared to just boiling the zest.

So you add it straight to the keg rather than letting it boil? What is the benefit of that? Does it provide a fresher flavor than boiling?
I will make the tincture the same time I brew the beer and shake it up whenever I walk by or think about it. The alcohol removes the essential oils without them boiling off. It is a great way to add all kinds of flavors to beer. I used it for chocolate, coffee, vanilla, citrus, juniper, and other fruits as well. Good luck :D

I will make the tincture the same time I brew the beer and shake it up whenever I walk by or think about it. The alcohol removes the essential oils without them boiling off. It is a great way to add all kinds of flavors to beer. I used it for chocolate, coffee, vanilla, citrus, juniper, and other fruits as well. Good luck :D

Thank you very much I think this is what I’m going to end up doing.

Back