How did you get heat inside your ferm chamber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeantownD

Reaction score
I'm planning an STC-1000 addition to a fridge so I can use it as a ferm chamber. What I don't understand is how to get power to the inside of the fridge for a heat source (bulb/heatlamp, etc).
I had the thought of drilling though the wall of the fridge but was wondering if there was a better way to go about the task. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
D

I just drilled a hole in mine. Just be careful not to hit a cooling line in the wall of the fridge.

Just snake the wire through the door and close it?

I just bought a Lasko Personal Heater for 18 bucks on Amazon, and plugged it into the controller and closed the door.

The seal will just grip around , i dont think drilling a hole is necessary or even worth it.

I wired my STC from the internal wires running the old thermostat. I run my bulb off the STC alone.

If the refrigerator is fairly new then there's probably 'hole' towards the top and at the center in the back. This is where they pump the expanding foam into the frig for insulation. At least you know there are not wires there. I just drilled through the hole into the inside of my frig. Then ran the temp sensor wire and the 120VAC wire for my heater (I use a infrared reptile heater bulb inside an open cage for heat) through the same hole.

Of course you should always exercise caution when drilling.

I just bought a Lasko Personal Heater for 18 bucks on Amazon, and plugged it into the controller and closed the door.

The seal will just grip around , i dont think drilling a hole is necessary or even worth it.

This

And I use an old heating blanket, with my stc-1000

This^^^^. Sometimes I throw a towel and some tape over the hole in the seal where the wire enters because I feel like it sometimes i don't. I have a small micro heater inside the freezer i had sitting around. Don't need it anymore in Socal. If not I would use a reptile ceramic heater. Kind of like a light bulb but without light.
http://www.petco.com/N_27_429495669...ters&cmrefr=5001&cmrefid=4294957049&cmrefpf=1

I also have a small computer fan inside the freezer to circulate the air when the heater is on.

This^^^^. Sometimes I throw a towel and some tape over the hole in the seal where the wire enters because I feel like it sometimes i don't. I have a small micro heater inside the freezer i had sitting around. Don't need it anymore in Socal. If not I would use a reptile ceramic heater. Kind of like a light bulb but without light.
http://www.petco.com/N_27_429495669...ters&cmrefr=5001&cmrefid=4294957049&cmrefpf=1

I also have a small computer fan inside the freezer to circulate the air when the heater is on.

I'd recommend the Lasko Personal heater over a Ceramic bulb, for one because it is the same price, has a fan built in, and has an auto thermal shutoff should something go wrong at i think 100-110F it auto shuts off and wont come back on until you flip the switch off for 30 seconds then back on. Worst case if your STC gets stuck on, you ruin your beer with 110F temps, not start a fire.

Not to mention its all contained so you dont have to worry about it tipping over or burning yourself.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003XDTWN2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:

Fan only energized with heater? Why not all the time?

Fan only energized with heater? Why not all the time?

Fan blows down during heater on cycle to move hot air down towards keg. I guess it could benefit from full time use when heat is needed to keep heat from accumulating at the top of freezer?

Not a huge issue since it averages 68 degrees here year round. I know from experience a layer of heat will rise to the top. I used to live in N'awlins. During cold spells I could not heat the bottom 3 feet of a room. Heater would be cranking and I'd be shivering on my couch but when I'd stand up my head would be warm.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

Nice link. It appears someone at Amazon has looked at the orders of those two items, and decided to offer a bundle. :)
I bought my Lasko heater at Lowe's, no shipping cost.
I agree with the full time fan running, to avoid the striation of the heat.
Photopilot: here is an easy way to not freeze on the couch, Put a small fan three feet from you pointed at the opposite wall at the top. By pushing the cold air from where you sit, the only air that can be returned to the fan will be the cold air again, after the warm air has come down the wall you sit in front of
I do have to say, don't do it for 5 minutes, expect miracles, and then quit because your side of the room isn't warm yet. It has worked for me for years, and everyone else that tried it too. May

Latest posts

Back