How could i improve this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonboy_t

Reaction score
Hi all. I've just made the following recipe (first real non-kit attempt!) and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how I can make it better? It's nice, but I think it could be better, just not sure how!!

340g crushed crystal malt, mash for 30 mins in 2l at 160 degrees,
Sparge with 2 litres at 160',
Add 8 litres boiling water into the 4 litres above,
Add 1.5 kg dark spraymalt and 500g medium spraymalt and 28g challenger hops,
1 hour boil,
Add 14 grams challenger and 1tsp Irish moss,
Add Gervins ale yeast.
Top up fermenter with chilled water to 25 litres in carbouy.

So, any ideas on what might make this a nicer brew? Space and equipment limitations mean I can't boil more than about 15 litres at a time.

jonboy_t said:
Hi all. I've just made the following recipe (first real non-kit attempt!) and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how I can make it better? It's nice, but I think it could be better, just not sure how!!

340g crushed crystal malt, mash for 30 mins in 2l at 160 degrees,
Sparge with 2 litres at 160',
Add 8 litres boiling water into the 4 litres above,
Add 1.5 kg dark spraymalt and 500g medium spraymalt and 28g challenger hops,
1 hour boil,
Add 14 grams challenger and 1tsp Irish moss,
Add Gervins ale yeast.
Top up fermenter with chilled water to 25 litres in carbouy.

So, any ideas on what might make this a nicer brew? Space and equipment limitations mean I can't boil more than about 15 litres at a time.

First off, how long has it been bottled/conditioned and what is it you don't like about it? Conversely, what do you like about it?

Those are good questions to start with.....
Evaluate the beer for flavor, aroma, color, taste, bitterness, balance, head retention, body, etc and then figure out what you like and don't
Like.

Simply, if it's young and not fully conditioned, it may just need more time:)

I've only just bottled it and was trying it to check if it was worth waiting for! The beer itself if actually quite nice, just more of a general 'what would you do' question really!

Back