How clear is "clear"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhatsOnTap

Reaction score
When vorlaufing, I hear that you should run the first couple of quarts thru to obtain a "clear" runoff. I can't seem to make it crystal clear like I imagined, but after the second circulation the wort is hazy, but as clear as any extract wort I've seen. My question is, how clear is "clear" after vorlaufing?

PS Thanks to the mini mash thread I have my system up and running! 75% effic. the first run (Belgian Dubbel), then 83% on an IPA (Yeah!), and 79% yesterday on a Belgian Pale Ale! :ban: SWMBO is going to send me to Brew-holics anonymous (I can't even drink all this beer by myself!). :rockin:

It won't be completely clear, the main concern is to prevent husks from entering the kettle. Sounds like you have the correct approach.

there will be quite a bit of "haze" that will eventually get caught up in the grain bed as well as husks and bits of grain

maybe haze isnt the best word but you will see it clear up. david is right....its not going to be "clear" per se, but you will notice a difference in the runnings after a couple minutes.

I just made my 2nd all-grain batch last week using a copper manifold/cooler for my mash tun. I vorlaufted (sp?) for at least 45 minutes and still had tiny bits of grain in the runnings. Should there be absolutely no tiny peices whatsover in the runoff?

You should have no pieces of anything in your runnings. It is extremely difficult to actually get it "clear" short of lengthy recirculation using a pump and even then only if you have a good bed of whole hops with only a small portion, if any, of pellet hops.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

shlap said:
I just made my 2nd all-grain batch last week using a copper manifold/cooler for my mash tun. I vorlaufted (sp?) for at least 45 minutes and still had tiny bits of grain in the runnings. Should there be absolutely no tiny peices whatsover in the runoff?

I wouldn't worry too much i imagine a few husks getting into a 5 gallon batch isn't going to impart any detectable off flavours. But i reckon if you keep batch sparging and spending 45 mins recirculating each time there is a good chance you'll throw in the towel with AG (i know i would if i had to spend about 2 hours recirculating).

Someone suggested coverering the copper manifold with their hop boiling bag (fine mesh) transformed their recirculating (reduced time and clearer runnings). I'm going to buy another bag and try this on my next mash (i find the vorlaufing process tedious so any thing to speed it along).

Ive also read somewhere that some tannins in the runoff actually helps in the protein precipitaion process (ie combines with the proteins to form large complexes that are water insoluble and hence drop out of solution therby reducing haze). So maybe its not a good thing to be too anal about the volarufing.

My $0.02...I have always just run off 2 litres and called it good. My beer always come out wonderful.

diagft32 said:
My $0.02...I have always just run off 2 litres and called it good. My beer always come out wonderful.

They may come out wonderful but... does 2 liters get rid of all particulates or do you still see some tiny peices in your runoff? I don't get to taste my first all-grain until Monday. I can't wait!

Im with diagft32, my approach is to run off about two gallons and then straight into the brew kettle. I havent had any problems that I can tell.

shlap said:
They may come out wonderful but... does 2 liters get rid of all particulates or do you still see some tiny peices in your runoff? I don't get to taste my first all-grain until Monday. I can't wait!

Yes, I have tiny grain particles in my wort, but it has never adversely affected the beer.

Back