how can i make a cheap aerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgrcltpunk

Reaction score
i bought all the stuff to make my second batch of beer but didnt think about aeration i was really thinking some good splashing and stirring would aerate it fine but now as im thinking about it i dont think it will be good enough what can i do to aerate it or will splashing be enough ?

1. Sanitize and insert solid stopper
2. Sit in chair and lay carboy across lap horizontally
3. Shake/rock liberally for 2-3minutes.
4. Pitch yeast.

so this would probably do well for a 90 or higher starting gravity

I'm going to say that your yeast pitching is going to be a bigger factor in your success if you are going to be brewing "big beers" that have OG >1.090. Aeration is important, but proper pitching is paramount.

I'm going to say that your yeast pitching is going to be a bigger factor in your success if you are going to be brewing "big beers" that have OG >1.090. Aeration is important, but proper pitching is paramount.

yeah this is the only big one i have planed but im using a liquid yeast starter of 1000 ml but im gonna do it so it makes a lot more yeast than normal

1000ml is still underpitching if you are making a simple starter (according to Mr. malty)

yeah but what im gonna do is use half the dme let the yeast eat it then decant it then use the other half to grow more yeast i think it will do well im not setup to pitch 3 liters of yeast but if you know a way that i could make 1000 ml then store it and make another batch and it work well then im listening haha

yeah but what im gonna do is use half the dme let the yeast eat it then decant it then use the other half to grow more yeast i think it will do well im not setup to pitch 3 liters of yeast but if you know a way that i could make 1000 ml then store it and make another batch and it work well then im listening haha

I'm not sure what you mean by "half" of your dme. If you make a starter with half dme, decant and ten follow it with the other half, then you will still have the same amount of yeast cells compared to if you fermented all of your dme at once. Maybe I'm not following?

You could do a couple of things:

Mr. Malty calls for 2.36L of simple starter for a 1.090 wort. You could make a starter of 1.2L, pitch, let ferment and cool. Decant off the starter and add a FRESH 1.2L of starter, let that ferment, and then you would have your 2.4L of simple starter.

Alternatively, you could pitch onto a yeast cake from a previous batch. Those methods vary from pitching onto the cake directly or harvesting the pitch, washing and repitching the slurry.

Hope this helps.

If you have an auto siphon already, it won't cost you anything. Take your auto siphon and attach a tube to the end. Put auto siphon into wort take tube end and hold over wort as a return. Pump it about 50 times. Never had a problem with aeration. Safer than shaking a glass carboy filled with 5 gallons.

The best starter for a big beer (IMHO) is to brew a pale ale session brew (low OG) with hops that correspond with your big beer, when you transfer that to secondary or bottling, dump out about half the yeast out (or save it) and pitch the big beer onto that 1/2 cake.

Not scientific, but it works well.

Cheap and effective:

phpThumb.php

I'm not sure what you mean by "half" of your dme. If you make a starter with half dme, decant and ten follow it with the other half, then you will still have the same amount of yeast cells compared to if you fermented all of your dme at once. Maybe I'm not following?

You could do a couple of things:

Mr. Malty calls for 2.36L of simple starter for a 1.090 wort. You could make a starter of 1.2L, pitch, let ferment and cool. Decant off the starter and add a FRESH 1.2L of starter, let that ferment, and then you would have your 2.4L of simple starter.

Alternatively, you could pitch onto a yeast cake from a previous batch. Those methods vary from pitching onto the cake directly or harvesting the pitch, washing and repitching the slurry.

Hope this helps.
how well would it work if i mad a 1000 ml starter let it ferment for 1 day then poured it into a plastic container (obviously sanitised) with an airtight lid (wont have an air lock though so idk if it would be ok) while i let a second starter ferment

Dumping it through the strainer to get all the hops out seems to do really well.

how well would it work if i mad a 1000 ml starter let it ferment for 1 day then poured it into a plastic container (obviously sanitised) with an airtight lid (wont have an air lock though so idk if it would be ok) while i let a second starter ferment

That would work fine. I do it all the time, but rather than a plastic container, I tend to use a Mason Jar that I've sanitized. Just pour the yeast & starter slurry into the jar, cap it, and take it out when you start your boil so that it can come up to room temp. Make sure you "burp" the lid once in a while so that the pressure doesn't shatter the glass.

What yeast will be using for the second starter?

I use a stir plate but the idea is the same I let the first starter go through fermentation and then I chill decant let it warm and then add my second amount of wort. Or you could just use a 1 gallon plastic/glass juice/wine jar and start right at your optimum size starter. Since its a simple starter with no stir plate involved.

are you doing a full boil or topping off a partial boil with cool water?

if the latter, you don't really need a special aearation device, as pouring the top off water so it splashes a lot will put a good amount of oxygen in to the wort. plus that cold water has O2 in it as well.

when doing a full boil you drive all the O2 out of the wort, and aeration technique can really matter a great deal then.

Latest posts

Back