How can I get my hop bag out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trizzant

Reaction score
So after 4 weeks it was time to dry hop my IPA in the primary. I decided to use this short grain bag that came with my kit. I think it was supposed to be used for hops during the boil but I never used it. So I thought I would hang it inside the carboy for the dry hop. It barely submerged into the beer so I was unable to keep any of the cloth outside of the carboy. Basically the airlock is holding the hops bag in place and as soon as I remove the airlock the hops bag will fall in. I was thinking of maybe trying to shove something down the side of the stopper and catch the bag before pulling out the airlock. Has anyone else done this? Should I just let it fall in and rack carefully.

Why not leave it and fish it out (or let it sink) as you rack to keg/bottling bucket later on?

When it comes time to tranfer, move the carboy to wherever it is that you are going to be working, remove the airlock to let the hops bag fall, replace the airlock, and wait for the sediment that may be disturbed through this process to settle out. Then just carefully rack the beer, leaving the hops bag at the bottom of the carboy.

For next time, one thing you could do instead of using pellet hops and a hops bag is use whole leaf hops. I've never done it before, but i've been told that whole leaf hops will float, so you don't have to worry too much about sucking up any hops when racking your beer.

I don't see any problems with letting your hop bag fall into your beer. Well, I guess this all depends on how you are racking. So how/what are you using to rack your beer.

Oh, and you could always buy a cheep, very loooong plastic spoon, sanitize it, and then just use it to fish the hop bag out if you wanted to.

If the bag falls it will most likely float. In the future, tie a fishing line to the bag or dry hop in a keg.

Back