How can I get a Red color to my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look into American Amber recipes. I might try a dose of 40L and a smaller dose of 120L. Munich malt might work too. There's a million different ways to make a million different beers.

Take your normal pale ale or IPA recipe and add 2 or 3 ounces of roasted barley. You can also try adding it late in the mash as to not add much flavor, just color.

Take your normal pale ale or IPA recipe and add 2 or 3 ounces of roasted barley. You can also try adding it late in the mash as to not add much flavor, just color.

+1 on adding small quantity of roast barley when you're ready to mash-out and sparge. Colors without flavor.

i think melandolin is supposed to had a red-ish hue, right? not sure how it's flavor countributions would impact the style. I think i've also seen that maybe Carafa I or II could add some red color but not too sure? not sure how dark they get.

Roast Barley or weyerman's cara-red. Don't need much roast barley - maybe 50g in 22 litres so there won't be too much rb flavour. As above - just steep for 20 minutes or add to the end of the mash

If the yeast and hops are different to an IRA then it shouldn't come out like an IRA.

Lots of good options in this thread. 4 ounces of pale chocolate along with some darkish crystal works pretty well for me in my amber ale.

Back