How can I add more IBUs after fermentation has started.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vikes88

Reaction score
Hi, I brewed a belgian golden strong recipe. Someone had commented that the taste came out a bit mild and if they brewed it again they would add more hops. I took this advice to heart and decided to adjust the timing of my hop additions during the boil. I did so by significantly shifting them later in the boil. I now realize that this will do the opposite of my intended effect.

Could I boil an ounce or so of hop pellets in some small amount of water and add it to my primary or secondary? How much water? Would I need to put some dme in with it?

With some mistakes, you are better off just letting it ride. This may be one of those times.

But, if you feel compelled to muck about even more with the recipe, then take the hops you were supposed to add at the start of the boil but didn't, and boil them for an hour in some WAG amount of water. Chill, then add to the fermenter. Keep careful notes so that if you like the result, you can replicate the process for your next batch.

Good luck,

If you want this beer to have higher bitterness then by all means you should boil some hops in water (a little extract won't hurt either) and add it to the fermenter. I've done it and it works well.

Hi, I brewed a belgian golden strong recipe. Someone had commented that the taste came out a bit mild and if they brewed it again they would add more hops.

A few thoughts:
1. Did you like it before the friend made the comments?

2. Watch a cooking competition show on the Food Network sometime and watch one judge praise a dish and another completely disagree.

3. Was the friend only talking about hops?

4. I was under the impression the hopshot extract needed to be boiled first.

Myself, I'd not worry about it and would adjust for the next time if I felt a recipe change was justified.

A few thoughts:
1. Did you like it before the friend made the comments?

2. Watch a cooking competition show on the Food Network sometime and watch one judge praise a dish and another completely disagree.

3. Was the friend only talking about hops?

4. I was under the impression the hopshot extract needed to be boiled first.

Myself, I'd not worry about it and would adjust for the next time if I felt a recipe change was justified.

1. and 2. and 3. Noone has ever tasted my batch yet. The comments I read were posted by someone who had brewed this recipe in the past. Their comments seemed appropriate to me, and I figured that personally I like things on the hoppy end so that is why I originally modified the recipe to shift the hop addition timing.

4. I don't know about manditory hop shot boiling. Several people have suggested adding that directly to the primary.

I think Im going to make a hop tee with 1 ounce more of hops boil it 60 minutes and add dme with 20 minutes left or so. Does anyone have a suggestion of how much water to use? 1 quart?

Back