How big do I need to mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlapoint

Reaction score
For a final beer of 5 gallons?

I am thinking of doing full mashes and want to buy the equipment.

Thank you,
Mike

For a final volume of 5 gallons you'll be putting around 6.5 gallons into the kettle to boil it down. So probably 8-10 gallons on the main pot. Then you'll need a mash tun that can do the mash, a 10-gallon rubbermaid will work, or you can choose another similar sized one. And you'll want a 6 gallon fermentation bucket or bottle.

What do you mean by "grain bill"? I plan on mostly brewing wheat beers, either hefeweissen or dunkelweissen...

Go to a ten gallon Igloo (or similar cooler) and buy a ball valve assembly and bazooka screen from someplace like Northern Brewer or Midwest. I'd recommend a round cooler because you have less chance of getting unmixed dough balls or high/low temperature spots. You can order everything online. You can do good beer with a five gallon MLT but will find yourself bumping up against your max volume very quickly if you like heavy beers. With my 10 gallon I regularly brew double 5.5 gallon batches using up to 28 lbs of grain and still fit everything in there. I can just as easily do a 5 gallon batch using 10 pounds of grain if doing something lighter.

Your 'grain bill' is the type and amount of grain you will be using. When asking a question like this OP its greatly helps to have as many details as possible. Will you be batch sparging or fly sparging?? Also there is a lot of info on here, search and you will find.

i have a 5 gallon cooler and a 5 gallon pot. i wish i had a 10 gallon cooler and a 7 gallon pot.

the max OG i can pull off with a 5 gallon cooler without adding extract is about 1.060

I'd recommend a round cooler because you have less chance of getting unmixed dough balls or high/low temperature spots.

What does the shape of the cooler have to do with dough balls or temperature variance? I've never heard of that before. Personally I prefer a rectangular cooler because it's a little more spread out making it slightly easier to stir when doughing in a big grain bill, not as deep, less weight to mix.

Also, for 5gal batches I usually collect 7gal of wort to start. I wouldn't want anything smaller than a 10gal kettle. I occasionally boil over in that.

What do you mean by "grain bill"? I plan on mostly brewing wheat beers, either hefeweissen or dunkelweissen...

This.
826035654_f67528cd2b.jpg

Back