How best to use a keg without a kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swmalone

Reaction score
Okay so I have a keg, CO2 tank and some other items arriving soon. Eventually I plan to convert a small chest freezer into a kegerator, but before that happens my wife has to decide on a replacement upright freezer. I have a setup with a cooler and a liquid heat exchanger block that can be filled with ice to cool the lines and the beer in those lines. The keg and CO2 tank will be on the outside of the cooler. To carbonate the keg I do have access to a cold storage area that is typically around 50-55 degrees F.

So with that background information here is my question. What is the best way to carbonate the keg in the cold storage and then make any necessary adjustment to the pressure when dispensing through the cooler.

Thanks for all of the assistance. I have been looking at all of the kegerator pictures drooling with envy.

Carbonating is simple. Just use a carbonation chart and set the pressure to what is says for your temps.

http://www.kegerators.com/articles/carbonation-table-pressure-chart.php

Any jockeybox style setup is going to be inherently a PITA (compared to a kegertor) due to the temp changes. Just vent the keg and then apply a couple lbs of CO2. Adjust the pressure upward until you get a decent pour. Return the pressure to the chart value when not serving.

That is kind of what I figured. I just wasn't aware of the venting prior to turning down the pressure and serving.

Thanks.

Back