How best to bottle mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

videoman

Reaction score
First time with Mead and I'm torn as to how best to bottle my mead. It's been in secondary for 6 months so I think it's time.

So far, samples have been very strong... not being familiar with mead, and seeing the alcohol content is around 14% I'm assuming most folks won't down alot of mead in one sitting.

This will not be a sparkling mead so I assume wine bottles with cork will be ok. So, will it be 750ml Wine bottles with cork, 12oz beer bottles with beer cap, smaller? Any suggestions?

If you truely can't decide then do a 1/2 wine bottles 1/2 beer bottles. If it was my mead I would lean towards almost all in wine bottles, and only a few beer bottles

I've bottled dozens of meads over the past few years and have used a variety of bottles. I almost always use 750ml corked wine bottles but I also like swing tops when I can get, or afford, them.

Bellissimo or hock bottles (Tall, thin - usually 375ml) provide an elegant touch to an attractive, or sweet mead. Standard 375s also work nice. I always bottle 4-6 375s or 12 oz crown caps for sampling purposes as the mead ages to avoid opening an entire bottle that isn't yet ready to drink or to give as gifts.

I've also used sparkling wine bottles from the US with crown caps when I run short of bottles but I try to reserve those for sparkling meads or ciders.

You may want to consider holding off for awhile before doing any bottling. All the meads I make these days get bulk-aged for a minimum of 2 years before I bottle. With that being said, I prefer to bottle my meads in standard 750 ml wine bottles using amalgomated corks. YMMV

- GL63

I put my mead in ANY bottles. Magnums to tiny. My wife especially likes those little 6oz champagne bottles cause they're so dainty.

I have noticed that using 5oz corn sugar for 5 gallons gives mine quite a pep and if I'm not hanging onto the champagne cork it'll just fly off all on its own.

But since reading this post I suppose that when I make a still mead that I now have a reason to save up some wine bottles.

My wife drinks most of the mead; so long as I keep her in supply I can make all the beer I want. And she likes about 12oz per average sitting, so I mostly use beer bottles. One 12ouncer and it's the giggles, two and it's stupid time.

Thank you all for your replies... I like the idea of the 750ml wine bottle as long as the mead will stay good after open.

GL63; your killing me with the two years in bulk storage.... I'm a beer brewer dabbling with the mead (like many others I'm sure)... I have no patience for waiting.... I thought I was doing good with my mead on the one year plan... You have the patience of Job; and probably the best mead in town.

Thanks again.

If you have a corker then reuse your wine bottles for your mead.
However if all you have saved up is beer bottles and you don't currently own a good corker, like me :), then beer bottles work just fine. 12oz is just about right for me to drink at one sitting. I don't find my meads and wines to be as good the second night after opening, so that is another argument for beer bottles.

If you are doing a still mead then any glass bottle that provides a good seal will work.

Craig

I like the idea of using both beer (12 oz) for sharing and wine bottles for my melomel. I was wondering though, will the capped 12 oz bottles keep as long as a corked wine bottle?

I put my mead in ANY bottles. Magnums to tiny. My wife especially likes those little 6oz champagne bottles cause they're so dainty.

I have noticed that using 5oz corn sugar for 5 gallons gives mine quite a pep and if I'm not hanging onto the champagne cork it'll just fly off all on its own.

But since reading this post I suppose that when I make a still mead that I now have a reason to save up some wine bottles.

My wife drinks most of the mead; so long as I keep her in supply I can make all the beer I want. And she likes about 12oz per average sitting, so I mostly use beer bottles. One 12ouncer and it's the giggles, two and it's stupid time.

Does she have a sister? LOL

You may want to consider holding off for awhile before doing any bottling. All the meads I make these days get bulk-aged for a minimum of 2 years before I bottle. With that being said, I prefer to bottle my meads in standard 750 ml wine bottles using amalgomated corks. YMMV

- GL63
I have to agree. I try to bulk age 2-3 years before bottling. I've been amazed by the change in flavor over the years.

I would think there wouldn't be much difference.

If capping bottles, you should store them upright. If they're put on their sides, the seal barrier can degrade and allow contamination. Corking is preferable. That said, I am storing one last bottle of mead in a clear, Grolsch-style swing top bottle but due to the alcohol level I doubt oxidation will be a problem as long as the bottle is upright.

I could understand if the airlock bubbles once in a while. Off gassing unpleasant odors. But if it’s still Cork or cap shouldn’t matter. Just tell me if I’m wrong.

I could understand if the airlock bubbles once in a while. Off gassing unpleasant odors. But if it’s still Cork or cap shouldn’t matter. Just tell me if I’m wrong.

Just like with wine, microoxidation that happens over time in a corked bottle can be a great thing. Mead that needs age can benefit from being corked and stored on its side for a few years.

Back