How Bad is it My First Batch Going to Be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nosnum08

Reaction score
So I brewed me first extract batch since 2008 and didn't even come close to the og reading. I did a full boil for my five gallon batch so I filled the kettle with 6 gallons of water thinking 1 gallon would evaporate. Once the wort was chilled and I transferred it to the fermenter I was close to 6 gallons of liquid! I took the og and it was only 1.051 vs the 1.068 the recipe called for. I still just threw my yeast in hoping it would turn out alright. Seems at the very least it will be very watered down? Thanks for any input, hopefully the next batch goes better.

By the way it was a two hearted clone with 84. Lbs of light lme with 1 lb of crystal 10. Hopped at 60, 20, and 5 each with 1 oz of centennial. This will also be dry hopped with 1 oz of centennial

Watered down? Well, in comparison to what you intended, yes... BUT, 1.051 is quite a respectable gravity that is, according to GABF style guidelines, right on the cusp of APA and American Strong Pale Ale. This will be a good beer, and the bright side is you will have more of it that you had intended! :mug:

If anything, I think the IBU will be slightly higher...i doubt itll taste watered down.

Thanks for the replies. One more question, like I said I have roughly 6 gallons of wort in a 6.5. Do I need to attach a blowoff?

Thanks for the replies. One more question, like I said I have roughly 6 gallons of wort in a 6.5. Do I need to attach a blowoff?

The only way to know for sure is wait 3 days. If it blows the airlock and sticks it into the ceiling tile, yes you did. If you don't want to take a chance on that you rig a blowoff. :rockin:

I just added a blowoff as the fermentation is going nuts, must have been some happy yeast.

When your o.g is over 1.065 you should make a starter. Most yeast will need this with high o.g. because most dry packs or liquid viles will not have enough cells to get down to a really low f.g. with that high of a o.g. like if o.g is 1.080 without a starter it may only get a f.g. of 1.025 so if you have a o.g of 1.055 pitching the same yeast it could get f.g in the low teens like 1.013 wich would give you about the same abv ( not saying that those two readings will be the same abv but using it as a example) but if you make a starter for the beer with a o.g. of 1.080 it will have more yeast cells to eat the sugar and could get into the low teens like 1.013.

Back