how bad did I mess up.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fozzinator

Reaction score
I just started brewing beer again after about 10-15 years, my first batch came out good with no complications. I just started my second batch a Belgian triple from a Brewer's Best kit. After about 1 day It blew the bubbler out of the carboy (6 gallon glass carboy 5 gallons of beer). I have never had this happen before. I did not realize till I got home from work, It could have been out for an hour to 10 hour, my guess is on the longer side of that. I put the bubbler back in and it instantly started bubbling. It now has been two more days it is still bubbling but just at a lot slower steady rate. some of the yeast has started to settle. the beer seems very cloudy.

My questions are how much damage could I have done to the beer by having it exposed to air for half a day?, and am I to impatient about the cloudiness I plan on doing a second fermentation should I just go ahead as planned and hope for the best or is there some type of fix or preventative fix.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt - you should be just fine. Many here say you really aren't a homebrewer until you've mopped your ceiling! Maybe use a blow-off tube in the future to prevent this, but there shouldn't be anything wrong with this batch. Wait a bit and the cloudiness will go away. Welcome to the boards!

You'll be fine. With all that gas going "out" of the fermenter, it's unlikely that anything would get "in".

NRS

NorthRiverS said:
You'll be fine. With all that gas going "out" of the fermenter, it's unlikely that anything would get "in".

NRS

^ this

I don't ever use the word 'impossible', but here is a case where I might just say that it would be impossible for anything to get in while fermentation was actively blowing everything out.

And, especially for a tripel, be patient with it. Definitely don't rush it.

That Belgian is def going to take a while to finish fermenting. So leave it in primary to reach FG & settle out well.

You'll be fine for the reasons mentioned. Definitely consider investing a blowoff tube if you plan on brewing high gravity beers like that in a carboy to prevent this in the future.

I'd really have to taste it to determine if any infection has occurred. Please wrap (at least) six bottles in bubble wrap, place in a USPS flat-rate box, and ship directly to me for complete analysis. After consuming, I will no doubt create a sloppy, drunken mess of a document to send back to you stating that this beer worked out just fine!

Just put to secondary fermentation today. Starting gravity 1.8 at about high 70's to low 80's temp at reading. Today read about 1.2 at 64 degrees F. You were all right beer cleared up already and tasted great, Can't wait to see what it will be like later.

We lost power yesterday from about 4:00pm till sometime early morning, and I realized I had no beer at home, The local market was close and so was the bar. (both with in walking distance). Driving was not a good option as tree and power lines were down making traffic a mess. So I had this Belgian in my secondary. Needless to say I'm a few pints short today. I just have to admit there was just something neat about drinking flat home brew by candlelight playing cards. I hope I did not contaminate anything, I did wash the mug good before every refill. Anyway the beer tasted great, even my wife and mother in law liked it.

Back