how about a meme generator thread...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
because you are tasty & good when the BigHair (wife) smothers you in cream cheese & roasts you

why you eat me.jpeg

Does it have to be bagpipes? I've been learning to play harmonica this year, would that be a good substitute?
You can suck at playing the harmonica (see what I did there?) but it is at least in tune. Bagpipes rarely are in tune… what is worse than one bagpipe? Two or more.

You can suck at playing the harmonica (see what I did there?) but it is at least in tune. Bagpipes rarely are in tune… what is worse than one bagpipe? Two or more.

I do see what you did there...

One of the things I don't get about harmonicas, though, is that they might not actually be completely in tune. I think that the variety I might be settling with is tuned to/using/[whatever musical jargon I don't understand] 'equal temperament', which sounds like a more precise tuning method, so I'm wondering if most other harmonicas are just slightly out of tune, but in a way that works for the instrument.

But when I started I wasn't using the type with equal temperament, checked it with a tuning app on my phone, and it seems fine. So I really just don't understand it.

Also, one of my harps is tuned to F, it's high enough that I'm pretty sure it makes dogs in my neighborhood uncomfortable. I bet it would disrupt a family argument or two.

Anyways, I've gotten us off topic. Anyone have some pictures of owls with words under them?

One of the things I don't get about harmonicas, though, is that they might not actually be completely in tune. I think that the variety I might be settling with is tuned to/using/[whatever musical jargon I don't understand] 'equal temperament', which sounds like a more precise tuning method, so I'm wondering if most other harmonicas are just slightly out of tune, but in a way that works for the instrument.

But when I started I wasn't using the type with equal temperament, checked it with a tuning app on my phone, and it seems fine. So I really just don't understand it.

Equal temperament just means that the frequency ratio between any two adjacent notes (including all the sharps and flats) is constant. Two similar notes, an octave apart have a frequency ratio of 2.0. So, the "A"s are at: 110, 220, 440, 880, 1760, 3520, etc. Since their are 12 intervals in an octave, the frequency ratio of them all needs to be the twelfth root of 2 (2^[1/12]), or 1.0594631 in order to be equally tempered.

Most instruments that play fixed frequency notes: harmonica, piano, guitar, etc. are usually tuned to be equally tempered. Other instruments, like unfretted string instruments, can adjust the frequency of notes, so they are not inherently equally tempered. Some musical passages may benefit from playing some notes slightly off from their equally tempered frequencies.

Brew on :mug:

I think a lot (not sure if a majority or a significant minority) of mouth harps are tuned in 'Just Intonation'. What is the deal with that?

I do see what you did there...

Also, one of my harps is tuned to F, it's high enough that I'm pretty sure it makes dogs in my neighborhood uncomfortable. I bet it would disrupt a family argument or two.

Anyways, I've gotten us off topic. Anyone have some pictures of owls with words under them?
It is in tune and I don’t know much about how to play a tune, but my grandfather did… I attempted and became frustrated. But here’s the thing, one must suck or blow with the correct openings, often needing to use ones tongue to block an opening. If one depresses too many or the wrong keys on a tuned piano it can sound quite unpleasant/dissonant, essentially the same concept with harmonic. And, that in a nutshell is all I know about playing the harmonica. :)

It is in tune and I don’t know much about how to play a tune, but my grandfather did… I attempted and became frustrated. But here’s the thing, one must suck or blow with the correct openings, often needing to use ones tongue to block an opening. ... And, that in a nutshell is all I know about playing the harmonica. :)

I've been working on it for several months (save for when the nasty cold bugs we had this year kept me from practicing), am aware of the two major embouchures, and I have a few songs figured out to where I can play them, just not well (not well enough for my own liking, anyway) yet.

View attachment 750484

(and the stock photo just is because it's happened, and it's evidence! :mug:)
Knock knock. Sir, have you perhaps heard of the Most Awesome Please Delete Thread? For just several hours of your time, you too can spend a lifetime searching the interwebs for funny goat pictures after reading through multiple pages of goat-themed shenanigans. Heres some literature....

Back