how about a meme generator thread...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1639667523215.png

I had a 2 part requirement for my future wife: what does she think of "Mars Attacks" & "Pulp Fiction"

the BigHair thought SJP's head on a chihuahua was hilarious (because it is) & our first date was me going to her place, cooking her dinner & watching "Pulp Fiction." HER copy

& we've gone to see every new QT film at the theater since

she's definitely a keeper & TODAY is her BIRTHDAY!

a picture from a previous birthday, our annual attendance at the Little Theater of Alexandria (Virginia) production of A Christmas Carol, then fajitas! at her favorite Mexican restaurant

10394093_998915940125812_148938166647621955_n.jpg

Last edited:
heh, as a finnish person, we still do this every november, because even the best "3 peak" non-studded winter tires aren't as good as a proper studded winter tire

As did many of my wife's extended family (Norwegians and Swedes) who live in the northern tier of the U.S. states (Minnesota and North Dakota). Most of those states have since prohibited studded tires since they can be so destructive of the highways. It's been years since I had studs, but they sure were useful in coastal Maine where the heavy snowfall would frequently partially melt and then freeze overnight into a roadway ice rink.

As did many of my wife's extended family (Norwegians and Swedes) who live in the northern tier of the U.S. states (Minnesota and North Dakota). Most of those states have since prohibited studded tires since they can be so destructive of the highways. It's been years since I had studs, but they sure were useful in coastal Maine where the heavy snowfall would frequently partially melt and then freeze overnight into a roadway ice rink.
In Montana studs are still allowed between Oct. 1 and May 31. And the Highway Patrol has the discretion to not ticket motorists who put them on a little early or take them off a little late. At the higher elevations, in the western part of the state, it can, and does, snow in every month of the year.

In Montana studs are still allowed between Oct. 1 and May 31. And the Highway Patrol has the discretion to not ticket motorists who put them on a little early or take them off a little late. At the higher elevations, in the western part of the state, it can, and does, snow in every month of the year.

I know what you mean. In 2016 and again in 2017 we made early Spring road trips to the Mountain West in our RV, retracing the Lewis and Clark expedition ("Undaunted Courage" is one of my favorite Stephen Ambrose books). The day we were supposed to leave the Lodge in Grand Teton it snowed, and the road to the south entrance to Yellowstone was shut down for nearly two days. At least we found a spot with hookups and were able to live in the RV for a couple of days, since the lodge was already booked full. Later in the trip, the Climbing to the Sun highway in Glacier Park was still impassable in May for any vehicle except snow mobiles or half-tracks.

Sadly, follow-on trips in 2019-21 got postponed, but we look forward to trekking out your direction again before our "get up and go" gets up and leaves.

I haven't lived in New York State for over 45 years, but way back we were allowed studded tires. Only for a few years though. They chewed up the roads. I was a stud back then too. As I recall.

Operative descriptor: "teenage daughter".
My forty+ year old sons barely remember diskettes and I'm nearly certain none of them actually handled one ;)

Cheers!

Tool colour should only be based on quality of the equipment, like bosch blue vs green.
The issue with these pink set is that they tend to be made of chineseum.
Curious what your impressions are of the Bosch strategy of blue vs. green to differentiate the two lines.

Don't forget, they sold a lot of these...
Bosch-IXO-Swarovski-Crystals-Drill.jpg

I'll bet 90% don't get this one. Although given the probable average age of the forum, I could be wrong.
I like to think a lot of the folks here get it.

the system restore, like when Win 95 registry got corupted all the time? or it's pinned with a magnet?

My forty+ year old sons barely remember diskettes and I'm nearly certain none of them actually handled one ;)

I'm younger than your sons and I very clearly remember using diskettes.

I think my cousin got an old computer from school that had edutainment games on 8" floppys. School didn't get rid of all of them, though, because I'm pretty sure that we had a couple of those green screen machines in the classroom, while the good Macs with Number Munchers and a newer version of Oregon Trail were in the computer lab, and we didn't get to play those games until after a few rounds of Mavis Beacon.

My family's first computer, a Win98 machine, had a CD drive, and an even newer version of Oregon Trail. It didn't have a CD burner, though, and I don't know if USB drives caught on until we got an XP machine (I can't remember if my first USB drive was 16 or 64 MBs, but I know it had trouble with PowerPoint presentations). I very clearly remember taking word processing documents to school on floppys, and helping dad swap out disks as he backed up his Quicken files.

Those were some days. The world will never be like that again.

I'm younger than your sons and I very clearly remember using diskettes.

I think my cousin got an old computer from school that had edutainment games on 8" floppys. School didn't get rid of all of them, though, because I'm pretty sure that we had a couple of those green screen machines in the classroom, while the good Macs with Number Munchers and a newer version of Oregon Trail were in the computer lab, and we didn't get to play those games until after a few rounds of Mavis Beacon.

My family's first computer, a Win98 machine, had a CD drive, and an even newer version of Oregon Trail. It didn't have a CD burner, though, and I don't know if USB drives caught on until we got an XP machine (I can't remember if my first USB drive was 16 or 64 MBs, but I know it had trouble with PowerPoint presentations). I very clearly remember taking word processing documents to school on floppys, and helping dad swap out disks as he backed up his Quicken files.

Those were some days. The world will never be like that again.
Oregon Trail II was life changing in those days!

I remember playing Ultima Online back in 1994 because I read an article that mentioned the Ultima Goldpiece was trading at slightly higher rates than the Mexican Peso.

Y'all should ask @bracconiere about that. He was with one of the original covered wagon trains that went west. THAT was life changing.

thankfully i didn't get scurvy, because i learned to make pine needle tea for vitamin c. and just because i had 100s of 3.5" floppies, with DOS games, i'm not THAT old! lol :mug: (oh, and the joys of dot matrix printers!)

I loaded IBM's OS2 on a 486SX 🖥 with a stack of those diskettes💾. I don't remember how many but is was a shixx load.
Cheers,
Joel B.
:mug:

Yeah, but did you ever load a deck of 88 character punch cards into an IBM 360 mainframe compiler tray, only to have to wait an hour or more for the batch load to run, and then find out your program had crashed since ONLY ONE character of 88 on ONE CARD in a stack of SEVERAL HUNDRED cards was mis-typed? Pardon me while I have a PTSD flashback panic attack from the 60s. I'm afraid my feeble brain is now trapped in a time-warped DO_LOOP.

Gawd, did I hate FORTRAN.

Yeah, but did you ever load a deck of 88 character punch cards into an IBM 360 mainframe compiler tray, only to have to wait an hour or more for the batch load to run, and then find out your program had crashed since ONLY ONE character of 88 on ONE CARD in a stack of SEVERAL HUNDRED cards was mis-typed? Pardon me while I have a PTSD flashback panic attack from the 60s. I'm afraid my feeble brain is now trapped in a time-warped DO_LOOP.

Gawd, did I hate FORTRAN.
Yes, except it was a CDC 6400. My wife "fondly" remembers our "dates" at the computer center.

Brew on :mug:

thankfully i didn't get scurvy, because i learned to make pine needle tea for vitamin c. and just because i had 100s of 3.5" floppies, with DOS games, i'm not THAT old! lol :mug: (oh, and the joys of dot matrix printers!)
Ya know - ink jets are still dot matrix.

Such modern equipment! I started on the 1460, which was only a few years advanced from the 1401...
I did some work on an 1130 in Fortran II. Anyone else remember the single 14" hard platter, hard case, removable disk cartridges?

Also did some hand assembly coding, and toggle switch input, on a PDP-8.

I did work for many years at the home of the 1401, but never used one.

I did some work on an 1130 in Fortran II. Anyone else remember the single 14" hard platter, hard case, removable disk cartridges?
We had a pdp11 with those non floppy drives.
I threw the green screen terminal in the skip bin, sometime in the late 90s. I went back 15 minutes later with the dot matrix printer, and found someone had fished it out.

Back