house reeks after first brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divi2323

Reaction score
So I brewed up an Irish draught ale from kit last night. House smelled like it but I went to bed after pitching yeast. In your morning I came down and it was bubbling say nicely at about 72 degrees. Moved it to the cooler basement. Left for the day and came back. The whole house was super pungent and made me a bit nauseous.

Is this typical and is it caused by the boil or by the primary fermenter?

This is my very first beer after multiple batches of cider and wine by the way.

The smell of the boil is why I have been banished to the outside to brew. The fermentation process has never been a problem.

I get the smell in the fermentation room. Never in the house after a boil..... Then again I love the smell of the boil. After you make spaghetti the house smells but it goes away. You do any thing in the house ity will smell. Unless your cleaning skills lack its from the fermentor.

During todays brew I asserted myself and said heck no I am brewing inside the house stink be dammed.

My wife is out of town LOL

I am really surprised how many think it stinks. Especially after a good clean up I find the smell gone in about an hour or so.

I find the smell of boiling wort delicious, it smells similar to a bakery. What's not to like? My wife loves it too. I don't understand how brewing beer causes issues in some households.

Fermenting beer can be a little different, usually it smells pretty good, but it depends on things like the yeast strain, the fermentation temp., etc.

The fermentation process at first smells great then the co2 mixes heavily in and bleh...

SharonaZamboni said:
If you've got any spent grain around, like in the trash can, it smells pretty funky real quick.

So after today, it had dissipated enough that I could narrow it down. Turns out it was the spent grain in the trash. Think next time ill be spreading out the grain in the garden as mulch.

Don't get me wrong I love the smell of grain (I'm a cornfed Nebraska boy after all) its just that I think I boiled indoors with the Windows closed. The warm moist air got all over everything and probably didn't help. At least I know how to get it under control by boiling outdoors. Now to find myself a turkey fryer.

I got the 30 qt turkey fryer set from Walmart for under 50 bucks. Disabled the timer. A few boils in and I like it. Much better than indoors on my stove.

My initial and continuing perception of boiling wort is the smell of pesto. I love pesto, therefore I love the smell of boiling hops and grains...

My wife contends that brewing beer makes the house smell like ferret. I always think that the kitchen smells great... but I did note after the last brew that the rest of the house didn't smell great.

I see a turkey fryer in my near future...

Glad you found your odor source! I once left some grain in my oven for a few days. I'd just thrown it in there to keep the dog out of it while I finished brewing. It was a terrible stink, and took a cleaning and turning the oven on for a while to dissipate.

Been looking into Turkey fryers as well. Added bonus with summer coming up is I can sit out back and enjoy some brew in the sun while making.... More brew :)

I turn on fans and open windows when i boil,I dont really care for the smell of dms. Kind of smells like hay and potatoes.It will still smell for half a day usually.

I find the smell of boiling wort delicious, it smells similar to a bakery. What's not to like? My wife loves it too. I don't understand how brewing beer causes issues in some households.

Fermenting beer can be a little different, usually it smells pretty good, but it depends on things like the yeast strain, the fermentation temp., etc.

I'm with you, My wife and I both love the smell of the kitchen after a boil. Spent grain might be a different story, and fermentation also, but I think Wort Boiling smells like happiness.

I'm with you, My wife and I both love the smell of the kitchen after a boil. Spent grain might be a different story, and fermentation also, but I think Wort Boiling smells like happiness.

I usually stick my face over the kettle for the entire boil and enjoy the experience outdoors especially if it's cold outside that's the best part of brewing besides finished product enjoyment probably a lot healthier too.

Back