House APA: Critique Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Robinson

Reaction score
I am looking to make a light colored, low alcohol (4.5 to 5%), hop balanced, complex malt profiled American Pale Ale. Also looking for a mild citrus/floral hop aroma. I just need a great session beer and I am trying to design my House Recipe. I have been fooling around with a few recipes and came up with my own. Any thoughts?

Grains:
7.00 lb. Maris Otter
1.00 lb. Vienna
0.75 lb. Crystal 20
0.50 lb. White Wheat
0.25 lb. Aromatic

Hops:
0.50 oz. Amarillo (60 minutes)
1.00 oz. Cascade (15 minutes)
0.25 oz. Amarillo (10 minutes)
0.25 oz. Cascade (10 minutes)
0.50 oz. Amarillo (5 minutes)
0.50 oz. Cascade (5 minutes)

Yeast:
Notty or 1056

That looks like a nice recipe, although I don't think I'd have the wheat in there, either. If you want a big foamy head, I'd use cara-pils instead.

What temp(s) were you planning to mash at?

Looks pretty dang delicious. I'd say use the 1056 if you really want to make it an APA (even though you're using MO) or you can use the Notty and make it a proper EPA. Regardless of style, both will give you a pretty clean beer.

The wheat could go either way, it's only a half pound. Personally I find that throwing in small amounts of wheat, oats or rye in styles that normally don't call for it tend to add something special. It's your Haus, your beer ^_^

The wheat could go either way, it's only a half pound. Personally I find that throwing in small amounts of wheat, oats or rye in styles that normally don't call for it tend to add something special. It's your Haus, your beer ^_^

That's the idea. I am brewing to style guidelines but not necessarily to ingredient guidelines. I think I will try the recipe as is and tweak only one ingredient each time (switch MO for 2-row, remove the wheat, change a hop) and see what happens.

Thanks for the input.

Keep the wheat, you can lower it to .25 lb. Drop the aromatic. Change your 5 minute addition to whirlpool. Late hop or go home. Drink fresh.

Looks tasty!!!!

Having used lots of Vienna in APA's I find the 1lb doesn't do anything for mine as far as flavor. If you want it to taste like Vienna use half of the grain bill as Vienna. I personally don't like it in APA's, to me it leaves a flavor that is way out of place- if it were me I would dump it and add another pound of 2 row. Having said all that, people love Ed Worts Pale Ale which uses more Vienna than what you have. The rest of it looks great to me though. BTW Amarillo and Cascade are one of my favorite hop combo's

Back