Hot wort loop for plate chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

javert

Reaction score
I've been in lactic acid bacteria hell, where every beer has turned into sour whey after a few weeks. Don't have the strict log but it coincides a lot with the use of a recently acquired plate chiller.

I returned to the dreaded copper coil immersion chiller for the time being but can't stay like this forever. The previous routine was to run iodophor (15 mL in 10 L) for 5 minutes before chilling and then about 55 °C PBW after the chilling was done. Although it might be the contaminating culprit lies somewhere else, I'm tempted to run a loop of hot wort while it's still boiling through the plate chiller during the last minutes of the boil, essentially giving it the same heat treatment that the immersion chiller receives when submerged at the last minutes of the boil. Given how heat has never disappointed me before, sounds sensible to try plus it solves the issue of having to guess where the iodophor ends and the wort begins at the beginning of the wort transfer to the fermenter.

Anybody has experience on this? Main issue could be exposing the hot wort to some additional aeration but given how the loop is mostly closed don't see that much of a deal.

And yeah, still going to make the PBW treatment after the end of the transfer.

I sanitize my plate chiller by recirculating hot wort thru it for a minimum of 5 minutes prior to chilling. I am meticulous about back flushing and cleaning it after each use.

Thanks, needed confirmation that it wasn't something that it's not done for some clear reason I wasn't seeing.

So hot wort it is. These lactics are going to go for one hell of a ride.

I usually do the same. Run boiling wort through the chiller to sanitize. After the brew session I will immediately backflush the chiller and pump with water. I don't do a PBW flush each time, but will do it after a sour beer. I just finished a kettle sour and as a precaution against your problem, I did a hot PBW flush.

I also blow out the water in the pump and chiller with a air compressor to reduce sitting water as well.

Back