Hot Wort Filter Before Plate Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewneely

Reaction score
What is the best method of filtering hot break and hop debris using a Blichmann (or any) boil kettle before chilling wort with a plate chiller. I fear debris build up, clogging or contamination of my plate chiller. I made a hop spider but will that be enough? My other issue is how to use Irish moss with the above setup. Curious as to what others are doing with success.

I don't know what your kettle is set up like but I had the same concerns a while back. I configured my kettle to where the out on my kettle sits at two gallons. I have been using Irish Moss and letting the wort sit at least for 30 after the boil to settle. I figure my recipes at 12 gallons and I figure to lose 2 gallons from the bottom that leaves me with 10 gallons. My plate chiller stays clean since I allow the time for it to settle. I have not had the need for any filtering. When you buy IM the manufacturers usually have specific instructions but I add mine to cooled wort 25-30 minutes before the end.

My kettle is 10 gallons, so I do 5 gallon batches. My issue is that the dip tube hovers just above the bottom of the kettle. When it drains, it pulls all of the liquid out.

I would be afraid that if you had a filter drawing from the bottom you may have issues with it clogging. Could the dip tube be shortened? Is this a commercial kettle?

I use 2 30/30 stainless mesh screens 'sewn' together
with stainless wire around my dip tube that goes to the
bottom of my kettle. Works wonderfully. I've had as
much as 14 oz of pellets on it without an issue.
I pump it through a counter flow chiller though.
Not a plate chiller.

Back