Hot side aeration while sparging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's well worth it for homebrews to at least once try and eliminate HSA right from the start of your brew day with your mash in water. You may be surprised as I was.

I think it definitely can't hurt to try to eliminate O2 from every part of the brewing process except for pitching time.

Personally I believe HSA can be an issue for the homebrewer as I've had batch that suffered from the aftertaste. Mind you I will say mine occurred because I whipped that wort into a frothy mess while cooling. As for HSA during mashing, never had a problem that I could detect.

In a homebrew setting, you would have to be very sloppy for HSA to matter. In fact, total lack of HSA has been shown to cause haze and colloidal instability. You will never get rid of all HSA, but as long as you are not going our of your way to splash/aerate your hot wort you should be fine.

LKA, that's very reassuring. I normally try to minimize splashing while mashing and sparging. But if I were more even diligent about avoiding splashing and aeration of the wort, I'm sure that I could reduce HSA even more. As Yooper indicated, it would probably benefit those beers that I lager longer.

Back