hot side aeration vs. spit in wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

God Emporer BillyBrew

Reaction score
I'm about through worrying about hot side aeration. At least until I get a wort chiller. I've siphoned my last two brews and both times have ended up with a mouthful of hot wort. Last night, while making a Boulevard Wheat clone I actually spit part of it in my bucket.

I don't feel like I've noticed any bad tastes from hot side aeration in the past anyway. It sure is a lot of extra trouble to avoid it, the way I brew, anyway.

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
I'm about through worrying about hot side aeration. At least until I get a wort chiller. I've siphoned my last two brews and both times have ended up with a mouthful of hot wort. Last night, while making a Boulevard Wheat clone I actually spit part of it in my bucket.

I don't feel like I've noticed any bad tastes from hot side aeration in the past anyway. It sure is a lot of extra trouble to avoid it, the way I brew, anyway.
I poured mine through a strainer while it was still hot and poured 2-3 gallons of ice cold bottled water to top off to 5 gallons and then put it in a bucket of ice and water. Chills within a half hour. I haven't noticed any off flavors yet from what I did. I also recommend an auto start siphon which works perfect!

Dan

I've done both on the same beer...spit my siphon into my bucket (Backwash Brown Ale) and got so frusturated trying to siphon through the dryhops in the secondary that I just poured it through a colander. I don't know if it was the 8% abv or the speed in which we drank it that helped avoid any off-flavors, but I don't make a practice out of backwashing or aeration generally speaking.

I just read an article from BYO today about HSA (http://byo.com/mrwizard/922.html) and it said that you really have to worry about HSA in the mash before you boil as this is where compounds that lead to premature staling will be oxidized. I was thinking about this, and I think most of us mash with heated tap water. According to the article, the heat we use to mash isn't enough to drive out the oxygen thats in the tap water. Wouldn't this mean that the oxidation would take place anyways, as our tap water has oxygen in it? Anyone see this any different?

Matt

clayof2day said:
Wouldn't this mean that the oxidation would take place anyways, as our tap water has oxygen in it? Anyone see this any different?
It would...the idea is to limit oxygenation in the mash and avoid really splashing it around. This is also one of the marginal benefits of decoction mashing...removing oxygen from the mash and limiting HSA.

Given all that, I would need to try to samples side-by-side to say I even knew what it was. I'm not sure how much of a factor it is on a homebrew scale, nor how long it really takes for the symptoms to manifest themselves in the finished product. I've aerated my mash and fermented beer in ignorance and desperation and not noticed the so-called 'cardboardy' off-flavors.

Here's what I do with a partial boil using a bucket for a primary fermentor:

I plug the drain in one side of my double kitchen sink, dump six gallons of StarSan solution from the bucket/primary into the plugged sink (I'm dumping it anyway, may as well sanitize the sink and the outside of the brewpot). Then I fill the sanitized primary with two gallons of chilled water. Set the brewpot into the sink with the StarSan, add all the ice from my icemaker to it, run cold water from the faucet into the sink while also shooting the faucet sprayer at an angle so as to make everything circulate around the brewpot. Overflow just goes into the other side of the sink. I'm usually down below 130*F in under five minutes, it's really fast when the coolant is moving. Then, I just pour the sweet wort from the brewpot into the primary, put the lid on and shake it for about a minute to mix the hot with the cold--no McDLT puns, please. This brings the temperature down into the mid 70's, just right to pitch my yeast starter. Aerate and mix it by rocking the bucket for another couple of minutes. I'm done with the whole thing in less than ten minutes. This technique has always worked perfectly for me.

those are some good ideas, but I have to say the best thing I read was more confirmation that it really doesn't make much difference for us extract guys anyway.

though, I'm embarassed to say that I didn't think of the auto syphon. And it does sound like you've a good method going Prost!

I find that swishing a good 100% Agave Tequila around the mouth will make one feel better about siphoning.

I now have an auto siphon...Should I still swish tequila?....:confused:

Sucking on your siphon tube is begging for bacterial infection from what I have read.

I donot have an autosiphone either and what I do is fill my siphon tube with water and place my thumb on the end. Put the open end into my vessel I am taking the wort out of and once it's good and in the wort take my thumb off the other end and shove it into the recieving vessel. No sucking and never had a problem getting a good siphon

EdWort said:
I find that swishing a good 100% Agave Tequila around the mouth will make one feel better about siphoning.

I now have an auto siphon...Should I still swish tequila?....:confused:

I wouldn't mess with tradition if I was you!

Back