Hot Rod Heat Stick vs. Sous Vide - Mash strike water/Whirlpool applications

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugAC

Reaction score
So I am getting a hot rod heat stick for christmas. It seems like a great product. I plan to use it to heat up my strike water, and would also like to use it to control my whirlpool temperatures. I currently use a 10 gallon cooler system but am planning on buying the SS Brewtech Infussion mash tun shortly.
However, i keep hearing of people using sous vide cookers in brewing, and wonder if a sous vide would be the better solution. With a sous vide, i can set my temp. In order to do that with the hot rod heat stick, in addition to the cost of the heat stick, (about $140) i also have to purchase a temp controller capable of accepting 15A, 1650w ($99). So my cost for my needs with the heat stick is $240. The most expensive i've seen for a sous vide has been about $160 for 1100w cooker. Not to mention, wifi enabled control would make it even better
Will the sous vide do the job i want it to do? Can i get to temps up to 162 (for strike water) in a mash tun or maintain 170 in my kettle with a sous vide? Does the wort negatively impact the sous vide?

I can't speak for the sous vide, but I have the Hot Rod heat stick and it works very well. I wonder if or how long the 1100w would take to heat your water. Depending on water volume, you may be waiting for a long time.
Which temperature controller are you looking at for the hot rod?

Get the inkbird the bayite is junk in comparison. The hor rod stick will aid in boiling too, and I doubt the sous vide will get up that high in temp. Could be wrong though.

Back