Hot Flavor help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conman14

Reaction score
Hey all,

So. I just took an apa - Jamils apa from BCS to be exact - off the yeast after 13 days in primary. after checking my gravity (1.010) i tasted. it tasted good at first, but had an alcoholic, vodkaish, flavor. Thats what folks consider "hot" falver, correct? My OG was 1.060. I was wondering if there was anyway to fix this flavor or am i stuck with it?

I think the problem might have been that i let it ferment too high. my swamp cooler was full, so that was out. I just kept my room at 60F. I did notice the temp on the carboy creep up to 85... so maybe thats where the bozey taste comes from?

Either way, was hoping maybe a dryhop would help this out. open to any suggestions, as this is only batch 12 in my all grain experience.

Thanks yall!
Cheers!

also.

was thinking i should have maybe taken it off the yeast sooner huh? after the yeast had all their fun, the carboy stayed at 65-67F.

It was two smacks of wyeast 1056 american ale, if that helps.
Thanks again.

It's "hot" because of your fermentation temp. 85F is very high! That flavor won't age out, and dry hops will only help a tiny bit.

First is that 2 smack packs for a 5 gal or 10 gal. Make yeast starters and increase if needed for more yeast.. Those things in my eyes are pricey. Hitting an 85 on an APA is a big deal. Many off flavors. To restore the mess I would buy a bottle of raspberry or your liking fruit flavor and mix. Call it Rapper Delight! I know for experience Ales and high temp do not mix.

If it hit 85*F during the active phase of fermentation, you very likely stressed the yeast badly enough to get a decent amount of fusel alcohol. Unfortunately, those do not condition out over time like some other things do.

You can try to mask the flavor with fruit extract or whatever, but the fusels will still give you a nasty headache.

Also, you're tasting green, uncarbonated beer at this point.

85 is too hot for that yeast..but would have made for a great saison temp..so you got that going for you...It happened to me when I first started, it won't age out, and you will get headaches, so lesson learned..dump the batch and try again.

dang. i knew it was bad news when i saw it get that high. oh well. lesson learned. atleast i just finished wiring up my temp controller for the freezer i came up on. thanks for the help yall!

atleast i just finished wiring up my temp controller for the freezer i came up on. thanks for the help yall!

Excellent.

That, along with pitching the correct amount of viable yeast cells (use Mr. Malty, use starters w/ liquid yeast) will give you consistently tasty brew.

Back