Hot/Cold Brew Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ted89

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been lurking on these forums for a while, and finally gathered enough steam to get into the hobby recently. I did an all-grain brew and for four days nothing happened except for a TINY ring of foam. My house is kept fairly cold and I figured the yeast had gone dormant. At risk of "banana" flavors I so often hear about, I submerged my carboy in a warm water bath, and instantly the yeast started freaking out. I got bubbling and a large head of foam. My question is, if my house is between 60-66 degrees during day/night, was this jump start enough to keep it going, or will the yeast conk out on me again?

I apologize for any ignorance in what I've said. This is my first time so I'm sure something I did will make the grizzled veterans cringe. Any jargon used, although I'm learning it slowly, would be a lot more helpful explained if at all possible.

Thank you!

What kind of yeast are you using? 60 is a little low for standard ale type yeast, but many will say airlock activity is not the only indicator of active termination. I keep mine between 68-70 and don't have any issues.

If you want to keep it a few degrees warmer wrap your carboy's in blankets. Yeast produce heat and that will keep them warm. Other methods include aquarium heaters, DIY incubator box (heated by temp sensor and lightbulb) etc...Check them out.

I have the exact opposite problem. My brewhouse is normal 90 degrees so I have to have everything climate controlled!!! Good luck!

First, welcome!

My philosophy is that fermentation temperatures should start low and only increase throughout fermentation -- never decrease. You may have already increased a bit more than you wanted, but that's okay. Keep it in the water bath at ambient temperature, about 63 to 65, and it should finish, depending on the yeast. After it slows down, you could raise the temp to help it finish.

In the future, don't warm too much get it going, because that can generate some off flavors when the yeast start "freaking out." Warm gently and slowly with the idea that you will ferment at the lower end of the yeast's temperature range, increasing only when activity has slowed.

I have the same issue my basement is cooler I have an IPA that I brewed 10 days ago and it's still fermenting" bubbling" the top popped off the bucket the first night in less than 12 hours actually I set up a blow off valve and let it go for a few days. I have it wrapped up.

Will the cooler temp slow down the fermentation?

Will the cooler temp slow down the fermentation?

The low end of a temperature range of a given yeast does ferment slower than the mid to high end. I often start ale yeast closer to the high end, then drop the temperature as the activity heats up. When activity starts slowing, I move the temperature back up. So say start at 67, then drop to 62 or even 60 for an IIPA, then back up to 67. I brew in a 6 gallon glass container, so this allows me to control the ferment a bit and keep the krausen from blowing out. I generally leave the bigger beers in there 3 weeks or more, so the ferment fully completes and the yeast has time to clean up.

Brewers don't always realize the amount of heat that active fermentation produces, especially with bigger beers. If you want a neutral, clean tasting ale, you don't want the ferment to be past the high end of the temperature range. The fermenting wort can be many degrees above ambient or what you measure on the outside of the vessel, so controlling temperatures is key to making a great beer.

Thanks everybody! I moved it next to the heater, covered it in a towel, and placed it in water to block against fluctuations. Over all, those things brought it to the right temp. I probably will get off flavors because the initial shock I put it through was probably too hot. I'm not too worried. I'll just continue to learn as I go if it comes out bad.

Back