Hot cider help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerisgud

Reaction score
I have one gallon of cider in bottles in the fridge stalling carbonation after sweetening with FAJC a few days ago. This Saturday I thought about dumping all bottles into a crockpot, add some dark rum, N some fresh cider maybe a couple mulled spice bags for my brothers fiancées 30th party. Does this sound like it would be good or gross? Lol I hoping for it to be dangerously good n not unpalatable. I haven’t seen any recipes involving using a fermented cider as the base and usually only using fresh cider with added spirits. Can someone point me in the right direction here? Am I a complete idiot and this is commonly done?

If you're going to make mulled cider (juice + booze in a crock pot), why use the hard cider you worked so hard to make? If it is delicious on its own, drink it on its own. If you're going to dump a bunch of fresh non-alcoholic cider, a ton of spices, and rum into a crock pot ... that sounds like enough. Whatever nuances and flavor your hard cider has would be completely lost in the crock pot cauldron of ingredients.

As you mentioned, no recipes use fermented cider as a base. This is why.

@ShadesManna My thoughts were the Semi dry fermented cider would lend it’s champagne yeast character and balance the sweetness of the added rum/fresh cider. I ended up keeping the bottles in the fridge and not making it yet. I think she would appreciate them straight up as is hot or on ice. I may try with one bottle n see how it comes out. Something like 12oz of hard cider, 6oz of fresh, one Teabag of mulling spice, 2.5 ounces of rum. Good time to test what temp my warm setting reaches on my crockpot. Since it was only $5 for 3 cans of concentrate, I don’t mind having some fun experimenting. When I make it I’ll post results!

Will it work? - Sure it will... (Will be interested to see how your experiment turns out.)

Alcohol boils at about 175 Deg F and its flash point is about 65 Deg F. At > 65 Deg F enough vapors are released or evolve some alcohol out of solution and if left long enough hours at something between say 80 and 100Deg F in a crock pot would significantly reduce the amount of alcohol in you Hot Cider...

Probably would not hurt the taste as your recipe sounds good and the base liquid will still be cider flavored but easily overwhelmed as hard cider typically has less apple flavor than fresh cider. (As @ShadesManna suggests) I would think you would probably get better apple flavor using FAJC, Store bought juice or fresh pressed non-hard cider.

Latest posts

Back