Hot break and late DME addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajitnair

Reaction score
Hello,

I am planning on an extract recipe for an IPA. I can't do a full boil because the electric stove can't get that volume to a boil. So I'm going to have to limit the boil volume to about 3 gallons.

I've read about late extract additions to help with color and hop utilization. However I've also read conflicting opinions about whether a hot break is even necessary for extracts.

To be safe I'm planning on doing the following:
- steep the specialty grains as recommended
- at the end of the steep, add the first wort hops
- then increase the wort volume to the 3 gallons and start the boil without the extract
- at 30 minutes (recipe calls for a 60 minute boil) add the DME and continue the boil until hot break - assuming another 15 minutes to get the hot break completed
- after hit break add the final hops (at 15, 10 and 5 minute)

This way I have a late addition of the extract which should help the color and utilization of the first wort hops, and I can get the hot break.

Thoughts on this process? Am I waiting for the hot break unnecessarily? Should I simply add the extract and the finishing hops at the same time?

Thanks.

Ajit

Hello,

I am planning on an extract recipe for an IPA. I can't do a full boil because the electric stove can't get that volume to a boil. So I'm going to have to limit the boil volume to about 3 gallons.

I've read about late extract additions to help with color and hop utilization. However I've also read conflicting opinions about whether a hot break is even necessary for extracts.

To be safe I'm planning on doing the following:
- steep the specialty grains as recommended
Begin steeping your grains in 3 gallons of water. Remove the grains when the water reaches 165°. This will be about 20 to 30 minutes. This will save you some time. (Safety measure. Tannin extraction can begin at about 170° if the water used has a pH above 6.0.)
- at the end of the steep, add the first wort hops
Add about a pound of extract per gallon of water. Bring to a boil and add 60 minute hops. The extract will avoid over extraction of hop oils. You won't need to adjust the weight of hops used.
- then increase the wort volume to the 3 gallons and start the boil without the extract
- at 30 minutes (recipe calls for a 60 minute boil) add the DME and continue the boil until hot break - assuming another 15 minutes to get the hot break completed
- after hit break add the final hops (at 15, 10 and 5 minute)
Add the remainder of the extract just before the 15 minute hop addition. Return to a boil and add the 15 minute hop addition and continue to the end. In my opinion adding the remaining extract before the flavor and aroma additions results in a smoother taste and better aroma. (Totally subjective on my part.)

This way I have a late addition of the extract which should help the color and utilization of the first wort hops, and I can get the hot break.

Thoughts on this process? Am I waiting for the hot break unnecessarily? Should I simply add the extract and the finishing hops at the same time?

Thanks.

Ajit
I don't know if a hot break is necessary with extract, but I do it with non wheat beers to avoid possible chill haze in the bottle.

Back