Hosehead temp sensors not working

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elj4176

Reaction score
I know Corey isn't supporting these anymore so I'm hoping someone in here can help. I've been using my Hosehead 5BC for a few years now and for some reason all three of my temp sensors say "couldn't find the device under /sys/bus/w1/devices/{sensor name}/w1_slave".
I have rebooted it, checked all the sensor plugs, completely powered it down... Same thing in the web gui (elsinore). Pumps and elements work.
Would appreciate any help on this so I can brew again.

It seems unlikely that all three temp sensors would go bad at once. It might be possible that if one of them went bad, that it might also make the others malfunction as well. Not sure, but I would expect the Hosehead to use the One Wire, DS18B20 sensors, and they would all connect to a single input on the control board. Try disconnecting one sensor at a time, and seeing if the other two are recognized, and function correctly. It's also possible that the common input circuit on the board has malfunctioned.

Brew on :mug:

It seems unlikely that all three temp sensors would go bad at once. It might be possible that if one of them went bad, that it might also make the others malfunction as well. Not sure, but I would expect the Hosehead to use the One Wire, DS18B20 sensors, and they would all connect to a single input on the control board. Try disconnecting one sensor at a time, and seeing if the other two are recognized, and function correctly. It's also possible that the common input circuit on the board has malfunctioned.

Brew on :mug:
I agree. The sensors plug into a 5 plug connector that plugs into the Hosehead. Those are the sensors it uses although when I bought a couple more off Amazon they did not work.
I did try moving them to different spots on the connector but I will do them one at a time with a reboot in between and see what happens. Maybe the connector is bad??

fwiw, DS18B20-PAR sensors are pre-wired in "parasitic mode" and will not work if the Hosehead code only supports non-parasitic-mode sensors (which is highly likely to be the case - not many projects around here support parasitic-mode sensors).

This issue kept rearing its nasty head in the BrewPi forums 1-2 years ago when eBay sellers were not spelling out what models they were selling and folks kept ending up with -PAR sensors.

In any case, I would remove all sensors and then test them one at a time, because it is totally correct that a bad (or wrong type) sensor sharing the common One-Wire data line can make them all look bad...

Cheers!

fwiw, DS18B20-PAR sensors are pre-wired in "parasitic mode" and will not work if the Hosehead code only supports non-parasitic-mode sensors (which is highly likely to be the case - not many projects around here support parasitic-mode sensors).

This issue kept rearing its nasty head in the BrewPi forums 1-2 years ago when eBay sellers were not spelling out what models they were selling and folks kept ending up with -PAR sensors.

In any case, I would remove all sensors and then test them one at a time, because it is totally correct that a bad (or wrong type) sensor sharing the common One-Wire data line can make them all look bad...

Cheers!
Will do. After looking for that connector it seems like it is a headphone jack 5-way splitter. Maybe that went bad? It's possible it got wet during cleanup.
Thanks and I will try one at a time as suggested.

Edit:
Is there another way I can see if these sensors are working or being detected? A terminal command instead of the elsinore gui? I'm bypassing the headphone splitter and still not seeing any changes.

Last edited:
Elj, I just got the same error message for only one temp probe (boil/yellow probe). Were you able to determine a way to fix the problem?

I'm running SBE. I've shutdown my Hosehead, and removed the elsinore.cfg and log with no success. I've unplugged each of the sensors one at a time and all at once, still no change. Will CBPi3 will recognize the sensor? Or do I just need a new SD because I have a corruption issue?

Any help is appreciated - trying to RDWHAHB

Elj, I just got the same error message for only one temp probe (boil/yellow probe). Were you able to determine a way to fix the problem?

I'm running SBE. I've shutdown my Hosehead, and removed the elsinore.cfg and log with no success. I've unplugged each of the sensors one at a time and all at once, still no change. Will CBPi3 will recognize the sensor? Or do I just need a new SD because I have a corruption issue?

Any help is appreciated - trying to RDWHAHB
I know this is old but I just saw your message. Not really. There is a fuse that keeps blowing when I unplug sensors and I have had to replace it a number of times. I was running 5 sensors at one point but I'm down to 2 now. I've tried buying new sensors a couple of times but they don't work. It's frustrating because I don't want a massive bulky panel in my brewery and the hosehead was a great solution but the temp probes keep dying.
If someone has something similar or can direct me to plans to build a new smaller controller or knows how to fix it please let me know. I'm about done messing with the temp probes on the hosehead.

I know this is old but I just saw your message. Not really. There is a fuse that keeps blowing when I unplug sensors and I have had to replace it a number of times. I was running 5 sensors at one point but I'm down to 2 now. I've tried buying new sensors a couple of times but they don't work. It's frustrating because I don't want a massive bulky panel in my brewery and the hosehead was a great solution but the temp probes keep dying.
If someone has something similar or can direct me to plans to build a new smaller controller or knows how to fix it please let me know. I'm about done messing with the temp probes on the hosehead.
Thanks for the reply. It took some updating of CBPi3 coding and figuring out how to detect the new probe to resolve the issue. I'd rather use Elsinore than CBPi3 because it wad easier to dial in boil temps, but reloading a SD card with CBPi3 and the updated OS for Raspberry Pi.

Back