Hose shutoffs from HF.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ancientmariner52

Reaction score
1515868080818.jpeg

Just doing a test run on my pump speed control. (Beats the heck out of trying to throttle with a ball valve, IMO.)

Does anyone else use these hose shutoff gadgets from Harbor Freight? They are very handy for keeping your hoses from dumping the entire contents when you break connections. Just back them off and leave on the hose for storage. They are intended for clamping off auto heater hoses and such, so they are way overbuilt for brewing.

they look good. i didn't know they existed.
i occasionally will use my fingers to restrict flow, but it gets hot quick.

You should only restrict the output, by the way
That is correct. I don't use these for throttling, only to seal off when I disconnect my cam-locks. Throttling the inlet of any centrifugal pump can cause cavitation, especially with hot liquids. You could use them to restrict the outlet, of course. Still better/easier than a ball valve, IMO.

But he's using them for "hose shutoff".

He's trying out his "speed control" on the pump, for flow control.

??

In the original post, he says he's using them for flow control.

If all one wants is to shut it off, one could use these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G3TC53M/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

They're hemostats w/ smooth jaws so they won't tear up the hose. I bought mine to close off silicone tubing line when moving the lines or when purging w/ CO2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to hopefully clarify: I don't use these for flow control. I called them shutoffs. But one could use them to restrict flow.

I usually brew outdoors, and water can pretty much go where it likes. I'm switching to indoor, electric brewing, and I realized that breaking joints would dump water on the floor. I had these heater hose shutoffs on hand, so I used them, it worked, and just thought I'd share. Lots of other ways to do it, I suppose.

IMG_1516049222.650456.jpg

Ive been using these gizmos for a few years. They also work great.
The Harbor Freight units look interesting. I will try those next.
Thanks for the tip!

Back