Horizon hop for flavor aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desabat

Reaction score
Besides being a clean bittering hop, Horizon is described as floral and citrus with a pleasant aroma. I plan on using it 1:1 with another hop in a Pale Ale soon to see what it's like.

Whose had experience with this hop as a late addition?

Last edited:
Subscribing. Bought my first hop plant, not rhizome, plant. A whim purchase that happens to be horizon. I Bought the last ounce from my closing LHBS and plan on making a simple 1 gallon SMAH with DME to see it’s characteristics. Thinking .25@60, .25@15 and .5 at flameout. I’ll let you know how it tastes.

Edit: put it together and wanted to change the addition times. So this is how I’m going to start learning hop flavors. Get a base beer, and use one hop at a time. The way I see it, you can read and imagine all you want, but you can’t taste imaginary beer.

Last edited:
706833E7-8EB0-4481-B5CC-1ECAA0289560.png

Add a dry hop to that, while it conditions. For 1 gallon 1/2 oz for 3 days should do. That way you get to experience all three sensations, bittering, flavor, and aroma.

With small batches review your flameout hop addition and how long the hop is exposed to wort temps in the 200-180F changing flavor/aroma to bittering. Actually any time spent above 150-140F does that to some degree.
Depending on the chilling method, it may take a lot shorter (or longer) to chill 1 gallon than it does 5 gallons. If so the "hopstand/whirlpool" time is shortened (or lengthened) proportionately.

That's how I (unintentionally and unaware) discovered whirlpool/hopstands in homebrewing 10 years ago since my kettle filter, preventing the plate chiller from clogging up, would clog up instead. Chilling became a mere trickle, often taking an hour or so to chill the kettle and fill the fermenter.

Finally got to brew this one yesterday.
IMG_0842.JPG
not much I can say at this point. Horizon hops were kind of citrus and had a good aroma, should compliment centennial nicely. I added a bit more Munich to the recipe. OG was 1.052.

Lol so I finally kegged this on Sunday. FG was 1.013. My wife and I agreed that the sample was more citrus than floral and had a nice balance with the malt backbone.

If I had dry hopped like I originally planned it would be in IPA territory which isn’t a bad thing, but I haven’t ordered the hop stopper I’m adding to my keg to dry hop so that wasn’t possible. Cant wait to serve this one and see what it’s like! I haven’t cold crashed yet so I’m keeping it chilled for a week or two while it’s carbs up before I can serve.

IMG_0917.JPG

Last edited:
IMG_1041 (1).jpg

Here’s the beer after it cleared up. It’s a nice pale ale but not much hops standing out since there was no dry hopping. Instead it’s pretty balanced which I like out of a pale ale but defeats the purpose of experimenting with horizon. I still have plenty of those hops left and plan to do the same batch but making it an ipa by dry hopping and fermenting quicker.

Last edited:
Back