horchata pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpr210

Reaction score
this question is a two-parter, so here we go. Last week I brewed an APA to which I added a 12oz bag of Goya horchata mix along with my malt extract (for those who don't know, horchata is a milk and cinnamon tasting drink made from rice). While it smelled fantastic, it has left a gigantic amount of sediment at the bottom of my carboy (check the pic). airlock bubbling has all but stopped, i'm gonna check the gravity tomorrow and see what's going on, but has anyone seen something like this before?

next question is kind of unrelated. the tip of my floating thermometer broke and all those little bbs fell into my wort as i was cooling it...toxic? yes? no? i bit one and it wasnt soft so i know it wasnt lead. theres no signs of infection in the beer so i think everything is copacetic, i just wanna be sure

Photo 23.jpg

Love horchata, never seen a beer like that...looks interesting

was your thermometer made of glass? If so that is a little scary. If you could filter the beer it'd be a little less scary.

You're seeing rice starch. Ideally, you would have converted that starch in a mash to make it fermentable.

Probably yes, but if it's anything like my recent Graham-flour beer (which I did mash -- cereal mash, in fact), it will never lose the starch haze.

i strained the wort, so i don't think any glass made it through to the beer, as for the bbs, i checked a couple places and sources seem to think theyre non-toxic.

recipe for 5 gal:
6 lbs Breiss Pilsen light DME
8 oz Crystal malt
4 oz Wheat malt
4 oz Munich malt
12 oz Goya horchata mix
1 oz Centennial hops @ 50min
1 oz Cent @ 8min
1 oz Cent @ 2min
Safale US-05 starter

Steep malts for 15 min @ 150*F
Bring to boil, mix in extract + horchata
I threw in a pot of good puerto rican coffee too
Cool, aerate, and pitch yeast
OG = 1.060

I still haven't tasted it yet, i'll let you know how it turns out!

You're seeing rice starch. Ideally, you would have converted that starch in a mash to make it fermentable.

+1, I have seen something similar when using large amounts of rye malt...lots of starch....it settled after about three weeks. I used a secondary to try and clean it up more...it worked great and I have a nice clear beer. Take your time, let it settle or you will loose a lot of beer that is holding the suspended starch.

jpr210 said:
i strained the wort, so i don't think any glass made it through to the beer, as for the bbs, i checked a couple places and sources seem to think theyre non-toxic.

recipe for 5 gal:
6 lbs Breiss Pilsen light DME
8 oz Crystal malt
4 oz Wheat malt
4 oz Munich malt
12 oz Goya horchata mix
1 oz Centennial hops @ 50min
1 oz Cent @ 8min
1 oz Cent @ 2min
Safale US-05 starter

Steep malts for 15 min @ 150*F
Bring to boil, mix in extract + horchata
I threw in a pot of good puerto rican coffee too
Cool, aerate, and pitch yeast
OG = 1.060

I still haven't tasted it yet, i'll let you know how it turns out!

Thanks man. Can't wait to hear how it turns out. Although, I really think that's a neat idea, I might brew it up and see what happens.

What is the taste profile of this beer? Are the hops noticeable? Does it taste more like horchata or coffee? I think I want to try this

Back