HopShot and Beersmith 2.2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBelli

Beer Lover
Reaction score
Anyone have any luck adding hopshot to beersmith?
The hop extract is measured in ml while hops are measured in oz /gr

not to mention the math involved in figuring ibu

any help with this would be very welcome!

It is set up in ounces? how can it be converted to logical usage if you add it in ML's?

In Options > Units you can change the hops to ml or mg. It's really more accurate to measure hops in grams, anyway.

Or, if you prefer, you can leave hops in ounces, but enter the dose in ml. Just type "5 ml" in the ingredient amount field and BeerSmith will convert it to ounces.

Anyone with any update on this topic? I am getting ridiculous figures for ibu when I added the ml as oz.... Any help would be appreciated... Thanks!

Anyone with any update on this topic? I am getting ridiculous figures for ibu when I added the ml as oz.... Any help would be appreciated... Thanks!

This thread deserves an updated answer.

Luckily, Northern Brewer gives us a key for calculating the bitterness of Hopshot. http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/hopshot.pdf

Their calculation is 10 IBU per ml in 5 gallons (19 liters), and is based on boil time, so, we know that this isn't already isomerized (if it were, it'd have a set value without boiling).

So, one syringe of Hopshot is 5ml, or 50 IBU in 5 gallons (19 l).

For use with BeerSmith, we want to convert the Hopshot into the same units we use for regular hops. Typically, this is ounces (or grams). If you call a full hopshot syringe an "ounce," it would be 12.17% AA each.This means that for inventory, each syringe is an "ounce" and anything less than a full syringe would just be that fraction of an ounce.

What I do is set the AA to 61%, which is within their specifications, and that way, when you type in "5 ml" in the amount section, it comes out to 50 IBUs.

When I'm brewing, I just know that 50 IBUs equals 5 mls and I measure by volume.

What I do is set the AA to 61%, which is within their specifications, and that way, when you type in "5 ml" in the amount section, it comes out to 50 IBUs.

When I'm brewing, I just know that 50 IBUs equals 5 mls and I measure by volume.

I just tried this method. I set the AA to 61.1% then entered in 5ml, and it is only coming out to 29.5 IBU's.. Am I missing something?
thanks!

I used Brew Brothers calculator to determine hop extract weight to get IBU 50 in a brew with OG of 1.068. Answer was 4.65 at default utilization of 20.34%.
I set up hop extract in BS2.2 and I needed to set the AA TO 102% to get 50 IBU from 4.65 ml (.157 oz.) in a brew that uses 11 lbs of 2-row and 1 lb of caravienne. If I set to 61 then I get 32.2 IBU. (If you enter the volume in ml BS will change to oz. automatically. Assuming that 1 ml weights 1 gram.)

Does this sound right? Or am I missing something. Any chance that Brad could weigh in on this?

Latest posts

Back