Hops..?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaindriven

Reaction score
Not sure if this would be the right section for this question but, my boss has been growing hops for a couple years now and he just picked me a huge bag and I was wondering if anyone has ever used willamette and or nugget hops..? I was going to try and use them maybe for a dry hop ok something..? Any ideas or insight would be a great help! Thanks!

Both are great for any time of American-style ale. I have a bag of freshly picked nugget hops myself; I will be using them as the aroma hop in a American Amber Ale. Happy hopping.

Nice boss!

I'm leery about using fresh hops only because I don't know the AA values, but also because they likely wouldn't be consistent from cone to cone, but I'd be more than willing to use them as an aroma addition as well as dry hopping.

I like Willamette in things like blondes, wheats, ambers, browns, and stouts where I don't want a citrusy flavor.

I have not used Nugget.

:rockin:

I like Willamette in pale ales, blondes, browns etc. They can translate well into a lot of styles. I have dry hopped a pale ale once with ~1/2 ounce and it turned out well.

I haven't used nugget myself but here's a little info:
http://hopunion.com/nugget/

I would use in an english beer, brown ale, amber, etc.

One thing you should know about Williamette, you will need more than you think. I've heard if you'd normally use 1 oz, use 1.5 Williamette.

Also, if the hops aren't dried out reAlly well, they will weigh heavier than store bought, so once again, use more

I would recommend drying those puppies out before using them! No point in trying to guess new weights to try to accommodate the water weight in them when you could just dry and use as you normally would.

www.betterbeerkits.com

Their fresh off the vine. I have them in the fridge.. Should I just leave them out and dry out..? And for how long..? I thought you'd want them as fresh as possible..?

Also, how much hops would one add to a brown ale.? I'm going to separate and just dry hop one gallon..? Any ideas?

Their fresh off the vine. I have them in the fridge.. Should I just leave them out and dry out..? And for how long..? I thought you'd want them as fresh as possible..?

Brew with them as soon as possible, like 1-2 days before they start going brown.

If you can't, then dry them out so you can store them longer, but your beer will no longer be "fresh" or "wet-hopped" then.

Back