Hops yard build...with photos to share

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustyFarms

Reaction score
Hi All, just wanted to share some photos of my hops yard in hopes it helps other as they create theirs. As if I didn't have enough projects my wife got the crazy idea starting an endeavor of growing hops. So here it is....I must first note however I am a beginner in growing hops and constructing such a trellis. I am sure there are better more efficient ways but I tend to prefer to make the mistake myself and learn as I go rather then having someone do the job for me.

IMG_2944.jpg

IMG_2945.jpg

IMG_2948.jpg

IMG_2950.jpg

IMG_2953.jpg

IMG_2955.jpg

Nice! I've got one in the plannings right now, where did you get your poles? Did you grab them from the forest in the background?

Thanks all for the positive feed back. I got the poles from the yard. We had a patch of cedars that needing thinning close to the house, so It was a good excuse to remove them and reuse them. It's been a fun project.

Looks good! Few q's for you: What's the height on those poles? Are you planning on using rhizomes or buying a field grade plant or crown? What are the varieties that you're thinking of?

poles in the middle are 15' out of the ground, the end poles are 16.5'. All are 3 feet deep in the ground. rhizomes are planted and some are starting to poke through the soil. We went with the 4 C's. Cascade, centennial, crystal, and Chinook. Still have to add the twine for the rhizomes. ....daughter saw me typing this and asked me to add the dancing banana....http://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/images/smilies/n045.gif

Just want to say that I am jealous. Took us a lot of work to source poles not even half as nice!

Oh, and... :ban:

Yes, we are very fortunate in that we are on 40 acres so tress were readily available.

I'll have to show my daughter the dancing banana...I can build a hops field but I failed in making a dancing banana...lol
Thanks!

poles in the middle are 15' out of the ground, the end poles are 16.5'. All are 3 feet deep in the ground. rhizomes are planted and some are starting to poke through the soil. We went with the 4 C's. Cascade, centennial, crystal, and Chinook. Still have to add the twine for the rhizomes. ....daughter saw me typing this and asked me to add the dancing banana....http://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/images/smilies/n045.gif

Awesome! Chinook was a workhorse for me last year, beating out my Nugget plant by a dry ounce, and Cascade by 12 oz. Here's to the c hops and a good growing season! :mug:

Back