Hops utilization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmatson

Reaction score
Hi All. I am planning my third batch, Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde (extract version), but have a question about using different boil sizes. In his recipe, it lists a 6.57 gallon boil volume. I am limited to only having a 2.5 gallon boil. I plugged the recipe into the Brewersfriend recipe calculator to determine OG, FG, and IBU for the recipe using both boil volumes. The 2.5 gal batch had a much lower IBU level, which I assume is due to lower hop utilization in the smaller volume of liquid. I doubled the hop additions in the calculator and that seemed to correct the issue, putting the IBU levels in the same ballpark. In general, is this approach (doubling the hops) the correct way to fix this problem? I can provide the exact recipe if more information is needed, but my question lies more on the side of theory. Cheers

Back