Hops up the chimney?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkling

Reaction score
I could use some opinions.

I would like to plant some hop rhizomes this year. I own a 2 story house with woods out back. This means the side of the house is really the best location to plant hops. The easiest way to do this that I can see is to plant them up the side of chimney. My notion is that I would plant the rhizomes themselves a couple feet out from the chimney, then have the string run at an angle up to the top of the chimney. This means that mostly there would be some airflow between the hops and the house except near the very top (probably around 25 feet up). This location would face West-Southwest so it would get decent sunshine though it would be shady in the morning.

For those of you with experience, does this sound like a workable plan? Or would I be wasting my time? Thanks for any help you can give.

Finally, if you've got opinions about good hops to grow in the humid South, I'd appreciate those too. I've heard Cascade are amongst the most hardy & tolerant. Are there other varieties I should be thinking of?

I started growing last season, so I'm far from an expert, but I'm pretty sure it would work. I'd be concerned with how you would harvest hops that were potentially 25 feet up though. My first year cascades grew to 17 feet last year, and thy would have kept going if they had anywhere to go.

Thanks.

I was figuring I'd harvest the top all at the same time by climbing on the roof & untying the rope up there. Vines & rope would drop and I pick them all at the same time. (Lower ones could be harvested earlier.

I would plant them farther from the chimney.

They will grow up a 45 degree line if given a little help, and close lines will intermingle horrible.

I also insist that you install a collar with grommets at the top, so you can feed out more line. It is frustrating to have a monster bine reach the top with 2 months of good growing left.

I would plant them farther from the chimney.

They will grow up a 45 degree line if given a little help, and close lines will intermingle horrible.

I also insist that you install a collar with grommets at the top, so you can feed out more line. It is frustrating to have a monster bine reach the top with 2 months of good growing left.

Thanks cheezy! I may try to pull them 6 or 8 feet out from the chimney then. I suspect that'll turn that space into a favorite summer spot for my 7 year old son -- it''l be like a green vine covered tent between the vines & the chimney.

+ 1 on Sun and water, and grommets. My 'trellis' is grommets linked to the peak of my roof (latched SECURELY). I actually have the rope run from the hops up to the grommet, and then back down to ground where I have it tied off. At the end of the season I can untie the rope and lower my bines, no falling of my roof involved. My chimney is on the wrong side of my house (for hops) or I'd be doing the same thing. I love the idea of a 'hop tent'. Crap, now I need to rebuild my back yard so I can have a hop tent!

+ 1 on Sun and water, and grommets. My 'trellis' is grommets linked to the peak of my roof (latched SECURELY). I actually have the rope run from the hops up to the grommet, and then back down to ground where I have it tied off. At the end of the season I can untie the rope and lower my bines, no falling of my roof involved.

You will find this invaluable when the bines reach the roof, you can let out some slack and they climb right on up for another 11 ft or so.

You will find this invaluable when the bines reach the roof, you can let out some slack and they climb right on up for another 11 ft or so.

Even though I could have done that last year, I didn't. Why? Hadn't thought of it! Thanks for the no brainer! What a simple trick to grow my hops longer! THANKS!:mug:

Even though I could have done that last year, I didn't. Why? Hadn't thought of it! Thanks for the no brainer! What a simple trick to grow my hops longer! THANKS!:mug:

:mug:

Retrofitting last year after the bines had already entangled the eyebolts was a PITA!

This year I will leave plenty of slack.

I recommend rolling 20 ft of extra line in a rod secured at ground level. This can be paid out, with the weight of the bine pulling the new line through.

Some of mine were ON THE GROUND with no harm done last year.

Back