hops to use in hop stand vs. dry hop vs. both?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickyfinger

Reaction score
Hey, I have been thinking lately about which hop varietals work best in the hop stand/kettle vs. the dry hop vs. use in both. Does anyone have experiences with using certain varietals in one or both applications and heavily prefer a hop for one over the other? For example, I have noticed that Centennial in the dry hop for me has given a strong woody character. Citra in the dry hop can by nice paired with other hops, but I really prefer it in the hop stand to the dry hop. Galaxy seems to work very well in both. I could go on and on, but I wanted to see if others have seen obvious trends?

[...]I have noticed that Centennial in the dry hop for me has given a strong woody character. [...]

That's pretty different. I've been growing and brewing with Centennial (and Chinook, Cascade and Fuggles) for six years now and can't say I've ever experienced any "woody" notes, even in my single-hop Centennial brews. I did get a bit of onion from a batch a few years back but that was the consequence of a too-late harvest.

As to the heart of your question I have never narrowed late/FO/post-boil/dry hop utilization by strains. While there are certain bittering hops that I never use late - and I never use aromatics for bittering except for single hop recipes - I use pretty much every aromatic hop for late boil adds (T minus 5 to 10 mins)/flame-out additions/170°F whirlpooling adds/dry-hopping/ and even keg-hopping (whole cones only).

And as my sons are all total hop heads and we've been enjoying the hell out of the NEIPA paradigm I've been using Amarillo, Citra, Galaxy, Mosaic and Simcoe plus the C-hops darned near interchangeably. It'd take some significant brewing iteration for me to have any way to pin-point a "best single use" for the strains I brew with. Sounds too much like work ;)

Cheers!

I have really come to enjoy centennial and amarillo hot side and citra plus whatever cool hop du jour I'm feeling for dry hopping (recently ekuanot). I enjoy the citrus/pine and gentle bitterness from those two hot side up front and then the fruit forward character of citra and friends to finish. Works well with lower character malt bases, NE style and such. Nice topic, Cheers.

I have really come to enjoy centennial and amarillo hot side and citra plus whatever cool hop du jour I'm feeling for dry hopping (recently ekuanot). I enjoy the citrus/pine and gentle bitterness from those two hot side up front and then the fruit forward character of citra and friends to finish. Works well with lower character malt bases, NE style and such. Nice topic, Cheers.

i thought maybe centennial hotside would work well

i thought maybe centennial hotside would work well

It would be impossible for me to ever catch up to the variety of hops available today. Though I'd like to try as many as I can.

That is to say, I find centennial works well in just about any American pale ale (not "pale ale," the historical name, but pale beers with an American palate) I've ever brewed. And outside of bittering, at every stage. I find it to be one of the titans that will last a long, long time.

Back