Hops that go together

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budbo

Beer is good
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a resource that will show what flavors/aromas different hop combinations will give... ie If I Bitter with Hop x, What flavor/aroma hops would work best with it.

to be more specific if using a "spicey" bittering hop what compliments it do I want a spicey finishing hop or something floral?

I'm not specifically aware of any resource like that, though some general guidelines as diving off points would be interesting. Whilst pondering the exact same question I've frequently referred to Designing Great Beers which has statistical data for hops used for different styles, as well as Beer Captured just to see a lot of recipes and to get an intuitive feel for what hops might work well together.

I've used a combination of Styrian Goldings and Saaz for 3 of my first 4 batches (all Belgian style ales). I've only tasted early samples of the first two batches and they seem to go well together.

Does anyone know of a resource that will show what flavors/aromas different hop combinations will give... ie If I Bitter with Hop x, What flavor/aroma hops would work best with it.

to be more specific if using a "spicey" bittering hop what compliments it do I want a spicey finishing hop or something floral?

I've heard that one way to learn about hops is to buy a selection of them. Then make tea out of a couple grams of each. This way you can get a feel for the taste and aroma. I haven't done it myself, but I am poor right now. When I have the money I will definitely be taste testing their essential oils. As far as bittering goes, I think since you destroy the flavor aroma in a boil long enough to produce bitterness from said hops, its probably less important which one you use for bittering? I am assuming bitter is bitter, just each hop has its own IBU rating... I think...

edit- sorry for reviving an old post, its my first reply on this forum.. and on a second thought if you just do a 40 minute boil you are still retaining flavor so I am wrong about bitter being bitter if some flavor sticks around

In an effort to learn about hop combos, I have been brewing the same simple pale ale recipe and trying different hop combos.

So far I have done Centenial/Cascade, Amarillo /Citra. Both of those combos work well. Both very different. The Centenial?Cascade seems very much like most NW Ales. The Amarillo/ Citra has a very grapefruity taste. I like them both.

Next up is Amarillo/Simcoe then ??????

I did a 20 minute boil with 1/2 oz of chinhook, and 10 minute boil 1/8 oz K golding, dry hopped about the same of golding and its turning out quite tasty so far... havent bottled it yet tho... Its a 2.6 gal wheat ale

Latest posts

Back