Hops still growing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemman14

Reaction score
Have let my first year hops continue to grow through winter (didn't start until August) they are still growing. When should I cut them down to encourage the new growing season? Will they die out on their own? I am in southern california so we never get a hard freeze and rarely ever freezing temperatures.

Well I cut mine back in early October but we have different temps out here. I would say cut them back so they have more nutrients for next season. However i'm not sure that if you cut them back they will not just start growing again. Hope this bumps the thread so someone from your area may see it.

If you have a year around grow cycle because of weather is too nice, I know what some people will due to other plants to force them to stop growing is to dig them up and put them into a freezer for a month or two. Not sure if that will work on hops but works with other plants

well I also plan on transplanting to a much bigger container. Right now they are in a 5 gallon container and I want to move them to a 45 gallon for next grow season

Are the bines setting cones? If not - let 'em grow. When the day length gets longer they will shift from vegetative to flowering and cone production. You should cut them back completely once a year (about 6-8 weeks before whenever your "Spring" begins) to remove the old flower initiated stems. The new growth will be vegetative until the day length shifts them again; starting a new cycle of cone production. Good Luck and Brew On!

Last year, I had two hop plants that continued to grow over winter and even set cones in January. They died back on their own sometime in Feb.
One decided to stay dormant over summer and start up again in October, and the other started up again with the rest.
I guess you should cut back soon?

Yeah I was going to cut them back by the end of January. Now that I look at them closer the leaves have started dying at the bottom and have fallen off about a foot up the bine. Do I cut them off at the dirt? or leave some of the main stem above ground?

Also I guess I should note that these wern't started until the begining of august. That is when I was sent two cuttings from the USDA hop program.

I cut mine off above the dirt. You got some from the USDA program?

yes, cascades. I requested 3 variety's but only received one. This was the email I got from them right before they sent my hops.

Today we are sending you cuttings of 'Cascade' for you to root. The
other two accessions will not be available this season as they have yet
to be virus tested for hop stunt viroid. Please refer to our website
for updates on what accessions have been tested and are now available
for distribution.

They sent two cuttings. They both started growing but one was much smaller and got fried by a small heat wave we had. The other is still going.

Back