Hops spreading...already??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkyHighBrew88

Reaction score
Ok so I planted my first year hops and they're doing quite well. The question I have is, at what point do they begin to spread? Especially for first year hops!! From the main plant to the sprout is approx. 1.5ft. IMO that's some crazy root growth, almost more laterally than vertically.

Exhibit A:
image-2336414468.jpg
In the top left you see a healthy Cascade, in the bottom right (if you look closely) a new sprout.

Below is a closer pic of the sprout:
image-4247370343.jpg

Didn't expect the spreading so early but it sure looks like a hop sprout to me...

What do you think?

I'd give that a few days to see if it is a hop sprout and a squirrel or chipmunk didn't bury something in your hop bed. :)

I'm definitely gonna wait & see, but it does have the thickness and characteristics of the original sprouts the main plants have. We'll see but I'm going have to cut th back regardless, gotta keep these ladies under control (if that's possible).

If you planted the rhizome horizontally there's a good chance that one of the 'south oriented' buds grew underground instead of upward like it would have if it was planted vertically. OR, it could be one of the nuts that the squirrel planted. To help contain it, just dig it up this Fall after it's gone dormant and reorient it if you like. After a good first year's growth you really can't do too much damage to them by replanting. Have fun!

Back