Hops schedule help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyolympia

Reaction score
This Father's Day, I will brew my first AG, and I'm planning to make it a SMaSH APA. My grains will consist of 10lbs 2 row. I'll ferment with WY1272, American Ale II.

I'm thinking about hopping with Columbus, for its citrus, pine, and resinous qualities. I'm open to suggestions on the hops, but whichever variety I use, I have questions about how to schedule my additions to achieve the effect I'm looking for. I'm trying to push the balance of the hopping away from bittering and forward into flavor and aroma, to end up with a total IBU in the 35 - 40 range, as follows:

0.25 oz Columbus at 60 (14 IBU)
1.5 oz at 10 (18 IBU)
0.5 oz at 1 (5 IBU)
Primary ~14 days
DH 1 oz in secondary for 7 days

Thoughts? Any adjustments I should make for the effect I'm seeking?

I think you're calculating that wrong...based on what you're showing...here are my calcs based on what i'd recommend

.25 oz 60 (19.4IBU)
.50 oz 15 (19.3IBU)
1.0 oz KO (0)
1.5 oz DH

heywatchthis said:
I think you're calculating that wrong...based on what you're showing...here are my calcs based on what i'd recommend

.25 oz 60 (19.4IBU)
.50 oz 15 (19.3IBU)
1.0 oz KO (0)
1.5 oz DH

Thanks, HWT. My calcs were from the BrewPal iPhone app. I'm not sure how they calculate utilization.

Your suggested schedule brings up an interesting question. What would happen if you omitted the 60 minute addition, or consolidated it with the 15 minute addition?

Elsewhere on HBT I read someone saying that they'd pushed ALL additions to the last 15 minutes. (Can't remember which thread it was.) It seemed odd to me to have the first 45 minutes, or even the first 30 or 15 minutes, with nothing going on in the kettle but boiling wort. Forgive me for the noob question, but what would be the point of that?

Thanks, HWT. My calcs were from the BrewPal iPhone app. I'm not sure how they calculate utilization.

Your suggested schedule brings up an interesting question. What would happen if you omitted the 60 minute addition, or consolidated it with the 15 minute addition?

Elsewhere on HBT I read someone saying that they'd pushed ALL additions to the last 15 minutes. (Can't remember which thread it was.) It seemed odd to me to have the first 45 minutes, or even the first 30 or 15 minutes, with nothing going on in the kettle but boiling wort. Forgive me for the noob question, but what would be the point of that?

It is called hop bursting. If you push everything back you shorten the boil. You only boil as long as the longest addition.

I have done something similar. Small hop addition at 60m with big hop additions at 15m, 5m and 2m. I made an American wheat I like hops but not bitterness.

0.50oz Amarillo 60m 7.1% 8.0 IB
1.50oz Amarillo 15m 11.9 IBU
1.50oz Amarillo 5m 4.8 IBU
1.00oz Amarillo 2m 1.4 IBU

logan3825 said:
It is called hop bursting. If you push everything back you shorten the boil. You only boil as long as the longest addition.

So great! Thanks for the tip.

I will also say(and I could very well be wrong) that you should add hops either at 60m or at 20m and less. I believe hops added before 20m(not a strict cutoff) will have most of their aroma and flavor boiled off but not add much bitterness so they will be wasted.

It is called hop bursting. If you push everything back you shorten the boil. You only boil as long as the longest addition

Mm. Not necessarily. There are several good reasons to boil for at least 60 minutes: it removes precursors to undesirable compounds such as DMS, it promotes protein coagulation (hot/cold break), and it develops flavor compounds such as melanoidins (as well as color). Even hop-bursted beers are commonly boiled for 60-90 minutes.

Mm. Not necessarily. There are several good reasons to boil for at least 60 minutes: it removes precursors to undesirable compounds such as DMS, it promotes protein coagulation (hot/cold break), and it develops flavor compounds such as melanoidins (as well as color). Even hop-bursted beers are commonly boiled for 60-90 minutes.

See what happens ever time you think you know something? Thank you.

Back